• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone 3 - what are we waiting for?

Started by RAVEgun, April 27, 2009, 09:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHadley

Agreed in intirety.

Do we have somebody who would be capable of updating the BZ2 demo to a BZ2 IA bonus mission...?

Dx

Quote from: Blue_Leader on July 26, 2009, 11:32:32 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_%28video_game%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims

Well, heres just a few examples where have you heard it sold 1 million copies?

I'll accept StarCraft for the same time period as BattleZone but HL is 8 months newer ( that's a long time to advance the tech the games used) and The Sims is much newer then that.

You may not like to count the bundle versions Av. but it's all sales and i'm sure it helped pay for the 2 million dollars that made Bz2.

One thing I forgot to mention is that BZ1 had BOTH hardware accelerated AND software rendered modes.   This let you SEE the difference it made, as most of the other games that delved into hardware acceleration just did it, dropping software mode.  Nothing beats seeing the difference in the same game...

Quote from: Dx on July 27, 2009, 12:52:17 PM
You may not like to count the bundle versions Av. but it's all sales and i'm sure it helped pay for the 2 million dollars that made Bz2.

It's not that I don't want to count them, it's just that those people bought a video card, not BZ1.  They didn't decide to try the game, they just ended up with it.  I would like to have had the game succeed on it's own.

I'll still count them, it's just that it would have been nice if it'd been because it's such a great game, not just extras for hardware.  :)

Quote from: TheJamsh on July 27, 2009, 11:34:14 AM
The battlezone II Demo CAPTIVATED me when i played it. Then i tried to find the game for months and never could. The units, the enemies i hadn't seen all displayed in those teaser splash screens? I LOVED it.

I agree, the BZ2 demo had a VERY different feel to it than BZ1.  It seemed much more alive, cruising through that swamp to rescue the downed dropship survivors.  It felt almost claustrophobic compared with the wide-open (and dead) spaces on the Moon or Mars.  I loved it too...

I also appreciate the leaps the Dev team made, moving from an essentially DM based game to Team Strat.  The fights that caused...  wow...  {HEL} vs all...   :)   Only a very loved game can cause such a ruckus amongst fans...    :evil:

BZ1 was new, innovative, and pushed the technology and gameplay into places it had never gone before.

BZ2 was/is a worthy successor to it, and while no sequel ever has the impact that the first of something has I think BZ2 succeeds on it's own despite the technical issues that plagued it.  TA5 is a miracle, and shows what BZ2 could have become...

I like to think of it like Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.   Star Wars succeeded amazingly, energizing fans and opening the doors to a new universe.  Crude, sometimes painfully so, and stumbling here and there it did things for/to us that no other movie had ever done.

Empire was technically more sophisticated, and took things further and into unexpected places than most sequels do.  It also bravely ended things at a point that was definitely not the end, not a victory for the good guys, and it wasn't a certainty that we'd get to see the end of the story.  Still, it was amazing on it's own.

Event though one is a sequel of the other I think they stand well alone as two very different, yet amazing, movies.

I think the same of BZ1/BZ2...

-Av-

Dx

When i pick a video card, i try to buy one with games to show me what the card can do, also helps to prove the card is good while under warrenty. But back in those days the games probably was worth more than the video card. hehe

sabrebattletank

Quote from: AHadley on July 27, 2009, 03:31:18 AM
The guy who introduced me to BZ2 bought his copy in a bundle with Dark Reign 2 and Heavy Gear 2.

WOAH. SO DID I.

Except I didn't buy my copy, it was a gift.

But still.

Scav-Avenger

Anybody thought about trying to make other interested in bz2? If we are lucky maybe we can get more talented modders to help with the patches. And ultimately bz3, but still theres the issue of money for the bz3 project...

Avatars make my profile look fat...

AHadley

Mr X

Quote from: Scav-Avenger on September 08, 2009, 10:16:42 PM
If we are lucky maybe we can get more talented modders

I think you insult some people on this forum by suggesting that their skills aren't enough :P
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

ssuser

I think his emphasis was on "more", not "talented". You would need MORE people to undertake such a project, and good ones too. The ppl already modding are, IMHO, already producing work of commercial quality - or better, lol. Making a whole new bz3 would require, for starters, a dedicated team of C++ coders willing to devote much of their spare time to building the core game.

Wraith

Trend Micro HijackThis 2.0.2

Post a log in Overdrive Terminal if you have a malware/virus problem

Scout

AHadley

And why not? FE is already considered a BZ3 of sorts.

bigbadbogie

Now that Pandemic has been closed, who's up for convincing EA to make a BZ3?

They did say that they wished to continue Pandemic's legacy...
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

AHadley

And it was their first game after all. Only problem is that, being EA, they're going to make some piece of trash that looks good but doesn't have a storyline.

sabrebattletank