• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Co-Op Campaign?

Started by TheJamsh, July 02, 2009, 05:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you interested in a co-op campaign option?

Definitely!
14 (56%)
Yes, but only on some missions.
4 (16%)
I'm not sure yet.
0 (0%)
No, it's too much effort.
3 (12%)
No, I'm just not interested.
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

GSH

I recently finished a game at work (Mercenaries 2) that had co-op. I'm speaking from experience when I say that co-op is at least a tripling of your work and test time.

- All scripts must account for what *2* players could be doing. If your script says "Do A". "Do B" "Do C", then for co-op, you've got to check if player 1 (P1) does A, and P2 goes off and does C. Or the reverse. What happens when P2 is most of the way towards an objective, then drops out? Or if P2 joins partway thru the mission? Basically, at every logic check, you've got to consider all players - joins, dropouts, and what they're doing.

- If you add co-op after scripting starts (as we did), then you have to revisit all the code, and add in checks for what all the players are doing.

- You must have a lot of testing in co-op. For Mercs2, we had a 2 dedicated testers doing co-op testing, and only co-op testing, every day, for 8+ months before we shipped. Towards the end, at least half the test team was testing co-op. If you don't have people signed up to test co-op regularly and diligently, you're going to ship with tons of bugs. Given how many BZ2 people want to test, this should be a BIG consideration.

As I've said before: figure out what resources you've got. Then scale your work to that. Not the reverse. On a free/volunteer project, NEVER set out on a goal, and then say "now we need recruit workers to do what we've planned."

(Update): after Mercs2 shipped, some surveys were done. Most people were like "co-op? You had that?" or "co-op? Tried it, didn't like it." The amount of work put in did not justify the very little reward from the general public. I know I may get flamed for this, but I feel co-op campaigns is demanded or seen as a "I'd like that" by a small minority of people, but the general public barely gives a hoot.

My bottom line: if you really want to do co-op, do a MP-only thing. Team Strat and MPI are co-op. That works. Plenty of MP games require co-op, e.g. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Team Fortress, Battlefield, etc. That works. Go do something like that in BZ2. Don't bother with campaign-coop unless you've got a TON of resources. MP-coop is a big bang-for-the-buck payoff. Campaign-coop is a really lousy bang-for-the-buck payoff, imho.

-- GSH

Nielk1

I perfectly agree with what GSH said.

Good god... I never even CONSIDERED drop outs. I already didn't want to do it.

Click on the image...

AHadley

GSH? Flaming? Here? Never.

I know it would be difficult, but I suppose I never really considered it. I now know how much work Zeeder and TimeVirus must have put into The Journey.

mrtwosheds

I Imagine that some sort of system where mp maps could be forced into a sequence to create a sort of co-op campaign could be figured out. So that map2 could only be run by the server after map1 had resulted in a victory on that server...?
Not good at coding things myself, anyone else see a way to do that?

Commando

I believe Fishbone did just that with DuneCommand.

GSH

I think various people have tried to do that by writing files containing unlock keys out to the BZ2 directory. That's not compatible w/ Vista and up.

I posted some quick source code that does something similar w/ the registry (which IS vista-compatible when using HKCU) for GreenHeart a long time back.

-- GSH

Nielk1

I beleive you refer to that registry demo zip thing? Got that if you do.

DC never stopped me form playing whatever mission I wanted.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

Same as Nielk1, i could jump into any mission i wanted to straight away.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

bigbadbogie

You can enter the missions, but it automatically fails you after a few seconds if the previous mission hasn't been completed.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

Never did that for me. I started in the middle and played it a good 30 min before stopping.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Maybe it only works in pb1 or it could be one of those Vista thingos.

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

TheJamsh

I HIGHLY doubt Nielk1 uses vista like me :lol:

But yeh, when i tested on Vista it didnt work for me. I never really got 'into' Dune Command, i was kind of annoyed how i was looking at a brilliant loading screen at one minute, then when i was in game everything looked really cheap, and i kind of got bored of the look.

That said, i did enjoy what i played of it and there were definately some great ideas in there.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Wraith

Quote from: AHadley on July 03, 2009, 01:17:47 PM
GSH? Flaming? Here? Never.

I know it would be difficult, but I suppose I never really considered it. I now know how much work Zeeder and TimeVirus must have put into The Journey.

Link to "The Journey" if you please? Sounds nice.
Trend Micro HijackThis 2.0.2

Post a log in Overdrive Terminal if you have a malware/virus problem

bb1

IIRC it was part of a map pack.

bigbadbogie

My BZ2 mods: