• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

An idea for multiplayer

Started by Clavin12, July 26, 2009, 08:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clavin12

I had this thought a while ago. I thought "Hmm. It would be cool if a player could have his own personal pilot in multiplayer." I thought with 1.3 it might be possible at least for the people who play often. For example for N1 he could have a pilot that runs around in a top hat and an orange coat. Could it be linked with the pilot that you sign in with when you first open bz2?
C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

That would be immensely difficult and would require a new model, skin, and ODF for each player. This would result in a massive filesize and masses of updates each time a new player wanted one.

Would also need some code changes.

Clavin12

But only the really devoted people who played alot would get one.
C l a v i n 1 2

VSMIT

We were trying to get a mini-mod going, where everyone who so chose would make a ship for a special Community DM.  It never went anywhere, though.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

TheJamsh

Thought about this, and i was going to make a vehicle list for the e-pack, that had vehicle from the developers. And while its easy to get the vehicles to other people, the difficulty you have is allowing the computer to figure out WHICH unit can actually used by youre player.

of course, with .dll, its not problem. But its getting around the shell as well.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Clavin12

With dll wouldn't you have to make each map specifically for each player?
C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

Maybe just a hidden vehicle list with insanely powerful vehicles of our own design?

Nielk1

The issue is client to server communication.

Click on the image...

bb1

Even so, in-game avatars would be pretty cool. Like custom skin transfers that only display on the person's sabre, ect... I definitely don't think BZ2 has a client upload-download system in place that would make that possible.

Nielk1

If the info was kept off site, like on a server, I could access that and use it in game. Issue being if the internet hiccups you start getting the game out of sync.

Click on the image...

Rocket

Well, it's an interesting idea, and would end up with people naming their ships.  :-D

But I'm not too sure if it's possible...
Hidden Defenders Mod

TheJamsh

Its possible, but as N1 said, the problem is getting the clients to communicate with the server, which has all of thier vehicles.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

Naming ships would be fully doable with no risk of loss of sync since I am almost positive the names don't have to be the same between clients. Unless you have some NO NO in your DLL that does something based on unit name.

Click on the image...