• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Upgrading weapons

Started by Flash, August 09, 2009, 08:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, the weight bit is not just the weapons, it's the ammo and hull also.  Golems are tough cookies, and all that biometal adds a lot to the mass.   :)

(oh no, it's AVATAR!  And he's talking like the game has to make SENSE!  Again!  Run away!  Run away!)

Lol...

Welcome to the greatest game ever made, Flash!  (I love your cannon, btw, at least until 1.3 gutted it.)   :wink:

BZ1 does have some weapons priority, but it tries to keep the two strongest weapons when it does take a powerup.  This is not to say it won't let you drop Minigun powerups on a Walker, hint hint...

You can drop powerups on pretty much everything, and if you've patched the game to at least 1.3 you can even drop health pods on buildings that are damaged.

Like GBD said, drive around and experiment.  In the 'Training' missions there's a map called "The Playground" which lets you do just that.  Another nice thing is the built-in editor in BZ1.  You can use that in conjunction with maps like the Playground to experiment with everything, even enemy units.

You'll get a mixed bag of weirdness hanging around here, btw, but someone will always step in and try to help if you have questions.  There are also some dedicated boards for BZ1, but be warned that only the most devout are still playing this game after so many years.   :)

-Av "we put the 'tic' in 'fanatic" atar-

Dx

Quote from: bb1 on August 11, 2009, 01:18:33 PM
These replies are all nuts. Wepon priority? Sounds unused. As is weapon masking...no AI that I am aware of listens to it.

As far as I can tell, bz1 didn't put much code in for weapon desisions: Dual blasts on a czar when only the golem is supposed to hold it because of weight; Sasquatch with ATs when those are obviously a terrible option when tanks and others can dual wield it.

I assure you bb1 weapon priority is used and so is weapons mask and the jammer too.

What does weight matter when you have bio metal? ;)

bb1

velocJam is a lie. It does not exist. GO AWAY! *Twitch*

Flash

Quote from: General BlackDragon on August 11, 2009, 09:23:59 AM
you're all nuts for coming here to listen to us babble about it.

Just do what I did, drive over each weapon and play around till u know what everything is :)

I tried that, but I could not pick it up  :?

bb1

4 types of weapons... if your ship isn't allowed to have the weapon, it will roll over it and ... make some type of noise (I've forgotten, I've had so many different sounds play over the years) just sit there.

Experiment. Things in the cannon category go in the tanks and scouts, rocket category goes in bombers and rocket tanks, special goes in almost every ship with few exceptions, and mortar goes in tanks and walkers.

Dx

Quote from: bb1 on August 12, 2009, 10:32:30 AM
velocJam is a lie. It does not exist. GO AWAY! *Twitch*

That's just a label, the jammer is set to zero, that's why if you sit still, it's like red field. velocJam is the pget label that would have let you adjust the jammer at different vehicle speeds.

bb1

So setting it to 20 on say a tank would mean radarless at full speed?

Quote from: Dx on August 11, 2009, 07:03:51 PM
What does weight matter when you have bio metal? ;)

Who mentioned weight?  I said mass...  :)

Golems could hover, and do if you thump them, but you'd be an out of control hockey puck if they did.  The legs give you control, moving an almost weightless mass of biometal.  I'd go so far as to say the legs act like the turret ground anchors, grabbing the terrain, but that might be taking things too far.

In the end biometal ignores gravity, but it doesn't ignore mass.  Biometal ships are bound by inertia the same as any other, and the massive amount used in Walkers means common controls (thrusters, repulsors) don't cut it.

Told you to run, didn't I?  :evil:

-Av-

Flash

Quote from: bb1 on August 12, 2009, 12:57:09 PM
4 types of weapons... if your ship isn't allowed to have the weapon, it will roll over it and ... make some type of noise (I've forgotten, I've had so many different sounds play over the years) just sit there.

Experiment. Things in the cannon category go in the tanks and scouts, rocket category goes in bombers and rocket tanks, special goes in almost every ship with few exceptions, and mortar goes in tanks and walkers.

Ok, so if I have 4 weapons on vehicle, can I add a fifth, or is it possible to jettison a weapon and then add another type if allowed on that vehicle?

Flash

Quote from: Avatar on August 11, 2009, 02:47:44 PM

Like GBD said, drive around and experiment.  In the 'Training' missions there's a map called "The Playground" which lets you do just that.  Another nice thing is the built-in editor in BZ1.  You can use that in conjunction with maps like the Playground to experiment with everything, even enemy units.

Hmm, I have only three missions for Training and saw no "Playground". Atleast for single player. Is it located somewhere else?

Dx

Quote from: Avatar on August 12, 2009, 02:06:59 PM
Who mentioned weight?  I said mass...  :)
Told you to run, didn't I?  :evil:

-Av-

Actually I didn't read your post, i'm refering to bb1s comment.  :-D

Flash,
"Ok, so if I have 4 weapons on vehicle, can I add a fifth, or is it possible to jettison a weapon and then add another type if allowed on that vehicle?"

Yes you can add a fifth weapon from 1 of the 4 weapon types. The weapon types allowed on a vehicle depends on the models hard points for the type of weapon.

ssuser

Flash, to get to the Playground mission, you have to be in one of the training missions launch screens, and then if you click on the "Mission Archives" button in the corner you should see a mission list and "The Playground" should be in it, if I remember right. You can also launch it from a command box like an IA mission, e.g.
bzone play01.bzn /nointro

There is also a built in test mission called "inst01", however this has black terrain, needs a proper MAT and TRN file to play it properly.

You can add a weapon into the fifth slot, but need to make a custom odf and add it in there, for example at the bottom of the tanks weapon list you can add:
weaponHard5 = "GS1"
weaponName5 = "gboltmin"

you can then drop Arc Mines out of your tank.  :-D

I'm wondering if we've answered the question...  since I'm not really sure what level the question is being asked on.   That last answer was almost going into Mod territory... maybe we should get back to basics.

For a stock tank, while playing the Single Player Missions or in Multiplayer, you can add any weapon shown in the weapon slots.  Each slot has a symbol next to it that tells you what type of weapon it is, Cannon, Mortar, Rocket and Special.  You can pick up the proper powerup for each slot you have.  If you have two of a slot the game will try to keep the most powerful for you while still taking the powerup. 

For example, if you have an SP Stabber and an AT Stabber and run over a minigun it'll put it in place of the AT Stabber.  If you run over another minigun you'll end up with two miniguns.  If you run over a rocket powerup and don't have a rocket slot nothing will happen.  For weapon slots you don't have you'll just pass through the powerup, and the 'reject' noise will play.

For stock tanks you can't add another cannon, or for that matter change any of the slots.  If you want to do that you can learn to make a mod, or modded tanks, but there are issues with playing Multiplayer with modded assets so you'll want to read up on this at the fan sites.

So, in the game itself you can't 'upgrade' a slot from say, a rocket to a cannon.  You can upgrade from one weapon to another, but I'd say it's more weapons switching than upgrading.  Prior to 1.3 my favorite 'upgrade' was dropping a Flash Cannon powerup (or two, for CCA) on a Gun Tower.  Roasted things very nicely. 

I hope that pretty much answers the question.  I know at least one bumbler that played the entire SP Mission arc without ever figuring out what the Armory was for.  I can't image being without my dual SP's, especially once the Furies show up, but he did it...   

-Av-

bb1

You don't jetison a weapon... it is simply replaced by the weapon of the same type.

Don't know how much I can dumb it down from there.

GBD gave the best advice, and hopefully the Playground mission will be found and played until it's all second nature...  :)

-Av-