• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Proposed history for the 3rd Cthonian faction

Started by Mr X, August 27, 2009, 12:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the third Cthonian faction be called?

Phosphornii
Phosphorii

Mr X

Ok, its become very likely that a the CP will include a 3rd Cthonian faction, so I have written a background for them.

The history of the Metians
In the long history of the Cthonians, there were many attempts by members of both sides to set up a third faction next to the long standing feud between the Olympians and the Hadeans. Many of these were merely short lived foot notes on the long history of a constant war, they were either destroyed by the larger factions or were simply starved of resources because they were cut off from the more established worlds that they were accustomed to.
One  breakaway faction stands head and shoulders above the rest though, the Metians, they set up a utopia for those who no longer wanted to fight. This is their history.

Timeline
A note on Cthonian timekeeping: the Cthonians measure time based on the point where records began and the orbital cycle of their original homeworld (Unfortunately, which world this was has never been established, as no world with a matching orbit time has ever been discovered), a Cthonian year for record keeping purposes is approximately 495 Earth days (Obviously orbital years and day lengths would vary from planet to planet). Until it can be determined when these events occurred on our own timeline, the Cthonian dates will be used.

Year 2267: The Olympians create a small colony on a world known as Valax, the world has a climate perfect for habitation, and the materials in the ground were very good for both building and being used in the generation of energy. Control of the Colony was given to a young noble by the name of Larazith, he had always been against the war with the Hadeans, and so had all of the colonists. For this was the point of the Valax colonisation, to get rid of Hadean sympathisers by putting them on a world right of the border of Hadean and Olympian space. All of the colonists were considered a danger to the war effert that had to be removed. Little did the rest of the Olympian high council know that Larazith had long ago made contact with Crown princess Mexxilia of the Hadean crown, with a view to establishing peace talks. Mexxilia had also been against the war.

Year 2270: The Hadeans are preparing to launch a large assault into Olympian territory, shortly before they launch crown princess Mexxilia disappears and there is a mass breakout from Fort Harla, a jail for civilian spacecraft pilots who had refused conscription into the war. Several large unarmed troop carriers take off heading for Olympian space and are soon lost from sensors.

Year 2271: The Olympians lose contact with the settlers on Valax.  It is not officially investigated by the high council, although the crew of a merchant vessel that went to Valax to load with resources reports that there was no signs of a fight of any kind, but the planet is completely deserted.

Year 2272: The Hadeans launch their assault.  They gain a few worlds but soon reach a stalemate.

Year 2273:King Drolcio of the Hadean crown is killed in action. His son and Mexxilia's brother, Lysion, asends to the throne.

Year 2275: Contact is made with the leaders of a new faction, calling themselves the Metians (derived from their homeworld of Metia). Their leaders are the now married (or the Cthonian equivalent thereof) Larazith and Mexxilia.  They claim to be completely peaceful and want nothing to do with the war. As the Mexxilia is part of the royal family of the Hadean crown they immediately agree to leave the Metians alone, and make an offer to temporarily stop fighting the Olympians if the Olympians promise to leave the Metians alone. The Olympians accept.
For many years the Metians grow a great deal in terms of technology as unlike the other Cthonian empires they do not have to divert so many resources towards maintaining the balance of power. They develop much incredible technology and their architecture becomes breathtakingly beautiful. The peace between the three factions allows a better life for all of the Cthonian peoples.
Word reaches the Hadeans and Olympians that the Metians have created a nigh on indestructible alloy, by mixing various strong metals and then somehow fusing it with living tissue. They refuse to share it for fear that it would restart the war.
Year 2302: An ambitious distant cousin of the Hadean King, by the name of Kaelia, kills Lysion and usurps the throne. He renounces all of the truces made by his predecessor, he declares an intention to attack Metia to obtain their wonder metal. With an inevitable attack coming from the Hadeans in the near future, the Metians have no choice but  to turn to the Olympians and beg for assistance. The Olympians agree, but it is uncertain whether the support will be in time to save Metia...

Any opinions?
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

iron maiden

So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

bigbadbogie

The word 'amazing' is a complete understatement!!  :-D
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Clavin12

Can we continue with the greek mythological heaven/hell names to make it true to the previous storyline? For example Tartarans (the bad part of greek afterlife) and Elysians (the good part).
C l a v i n 1 2

Rocket

Hidden Defenders Mod

sabrebattletank

I like it!

However Calvin DOES bring up a good point. I'm not 100% sold on "Metians" as the name, and I do like Greek mythology stuff, especially since this IS Battlezone.

bigbadbogie

Maybe the Metians are a bit tough and need to be tenderised.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Scav-Avenger

Lets hope the Metians do not use their super indestructable alloy to armor their ships. A HUGE unbalance of power, indestructable ships are a no no.  :-D
Avatars make my profile look fat...

bb1

I believe super indestructable alloy related to bio-metal.

It does feel uneven to an extent. Any map or mission based on a home world never sits well with me unless the plot explains away the following event:

Remember BZ2 ISDF ending on Core? That was the Scion's last chance, yet there were two easy to crush bases and infrequent small groups of maulers from one way or another. On a homeworld, there should be barrages from countless troops and directions.

What I am getting at is the third faction would be integral to ANY success on a Cthonian homeworld landing, or else the CP will end up as a huge collection of stealth maps trying to meander around the warring factions.

Clavin12

I never got that kind of attack when they send little groups that don't really help their cause.
C l a v i n 1 2

Mr X

Quote from: Clavin12 on August 27, 2009, 05:18:43 PM
Can we continue with the greek mythological heaven/hell names to make it true to the previous storyline? For example Tartarans (the bad part of greek afterlife) and Elysians (the good part).

Metis is the name of a Greek God. ;) (God of wisdom - therefore good technology)

Quote from: bb1 on August 28, 2009, 08:21:16 AM
I believe super indestructable alloy related to bio-metal.

It does feel uneven to an extent. Any map or mission based on a home world never sits well with me unless the plot explains away the following event:

Remember BZ2 ISDF ending on Core? That was the Scion's last chance, yet there were two easy to crush bases and infrequent small groups of maulers from one way or another. On a homeworld, there should be barrages from countless troops and directions.

What I am getting at is the third faction would be integral to ANY success on a Cthonian homeworld landing, or else the CP will end up as a huge collection of stealth maps trying to meander around the warring factions.
I was trying to hint that it was biometal actually.

And the reasons you don't have to worry about mass attacks from the Metians are as follows:

A) They were a peaceful faction.

B) Most of them are killed by missile strikes from orbit by the Hadeans. The rest would be forced to abandon their peaceful ways in favour of guerilla warfare.
starting January 2010!

sabrebattletank

How would it be pronounced?

Since it comes from "Metis," I imagine you'd keep the "t" sound -- so you would pronounce it "met-ians" as opposed to using the "tia" sound from "inertia."

Mr X

starting January 2010!

sabrebattletank

Oh right, British do the e's weird.

I don't like "Meaty-ans" because it sounds too much like "medians."

Mr X

How is that wierd? Just say the word "Me" if you aren't convinced.

But, after some research I beleive Metis is pronounced Meh-tiss, so I guess it should be Meh-tee-ans
starting January 2010!