• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Concerning sabre's BUG tech alpha 5.1

Started by Killer AK, September 13, 2009, 02:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killer AK

When telling sabres to attack a unit they are trying to form a very large circle around that unit
in order to attack it, this is something that other units are not trying to do like lancers scouts or sentries......
This is creating a problem is strategy matches because the sabres are all too busy trying to get into position instead of firing.
I don't believe this was an issue with any pubic beta earlier than 4.
You may see this effect by ordering a group of sabres to attack an extractor if there is enough room for the sabres to form thier circle than you may see it..... if there is not enough room it appears the sabres are just spinning around and missing thier target which causes alot of player frusteration.

I am wondering if this was suppose to be the fix for the assault tanks trying to hump the tower instead of shooting it out of range but mistakenly it was directed at the sabres or not.....

bigbadbogie

This bug has already been reported a few times.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

Yep, its an AI 'bug' if you want to call it that that exists in 'TankClass' and isn't going to be fixed anytime soo because AI coding is fricking hard.

I would say that with a recycler variant you could make 'smart tanks' VERY easily, but after you're recent post slaughtering recycler variants you probably wouldn't care for that.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Killer AK

I just read all the posts in the other forum, i see you guys were talking about that....
You can fix the problem with the sabres easily enough if you look at earlier versions of the public beta's where this wasn't a problem.
It is something that should be addressed and i don't think the fix would be hard.

bigbadbogie

It is likely an AI pathing issue and will not be easy to fix.

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

Killer AK

Well it was meddled with between the public beta's i doubt it's that hard to fix for an informed mind.

bb1

There's a saying that "every time somebody says _certain coding whatnot_ is an easy job, a programmer's head explodes."

ScarleTomato

it's not that they specifically meddled with the tank's AI Killer, is was probably a side effect of fixing some other bug in the code and just happened to have unforeseen circumstances with the tank. The AI coding specific to the tank may or may not have changed since pb1.

Killer AK

I understand, actually it's alright it's the only major bug i've seen in 5.1 so far which is pretty damn good news. I just wanted to bring it to light to the people that could fix it which is why i tried to mention it.

Nielk1

I really do wonder what could have done this though...

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

A misplaced comma or something... knowing how bloody complex C++ is.

My BZ2 mods:

TheJamsh

As far as im aware, GSH hasn't ventured into AI behaviour very much, just exposed a lot of constants. He has however resolved a lot of pathing issues, which in turn have probably made the AI more 'aware' of each other or something, causing this retarded behaviour.

I'll say what i said before, a recycler variant using 'morphtankfriend/enemy' will make them attack much more efficiently. Even better, morph tank supports ALL weapon types, including locking missiles. Its a VERY good ai if you ask me.

I HAVE submitted an ivtank.odf file to the 13 mantis, but it will take a LOT of testing for this to make it into a public beta because changing the sabre (one of the most widely used units) is a very controversial thing to do.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

AHadley

GSH

There's a *large* difference between reporting a bug multiple times, and actually submitting a useful bug report.

As I said before, this is one case where a savegame would be really useful, not some "oh this happens to me occasionally" report. And, as I've also said previously, tweaking ODF tunnel settings on GTs caused a bug like this to appear in the private builds. I thought that was completely reverted, but it's hard to prove that without a good bug report. Not every pathing malfunction is a "OMG! Get a programmer!" situation.

But, as people would rather whine than be useful, nothing's happened to this bug.

-- GSH

Killer AK

Okay GSH I won't bother you about it anymore.
I respect your work and you and maybe i should have made a youtube video about it but it's not hard to repeat if you just order sabres to attack a deployed extrator.
1000 appologies.

~Killer AK