• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Radeon x600 issues (split from PB5.1 bugs & issues)

Started by mag, September 16, 2009, 10:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mag

I am having a problem with TA5.1 suddenly shutting down my computer. It also happens in TA5.0. when I asked about it in the TA5.0 post someone said it was something to do with the video card memory. my question is does someone know of a fix for this problem or am I not able to play the new patches?

Commando

TheJamsh

Its video card memory?? yikes... always thought it was something else.

related to pathing funnily enough

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

GSH

1) The message about pathing looping forever is an attempt to get around a possible freeze/hang of the game. When some code has been executed a lot of times, it's better to report an uhoh, than to just keep trying. Some maps definitely produce that message more than others. If I ever decide to take on the pathing code, and had a good savegame that reproduced that bug, I might look into it more.

2) As to freezes, definitely try updating graphics card drivers from the manufacturer's website. If you post details on what hardware is in your system, we can help get the latest drivers. It's probably NOT related to the amount of graphics card memory -- remember that BZ2 (at launch) supported the 3Dfx Voodoo 1, which had 4MB of memory. Odds are, you've got much more than that. Drivers are the software that talks to the video card and are a critical part of making your video card work. If drivers have a bug (and given the number of revisions of drivers, odds are, some have been bugfix releases), they can cause system crashes/freezups. But, as above, please post details on what version of Windows, what make/model your graphics card is, etc. If you don't know how to do that, mention that, and we can help break down those instructions into simpler steps.

-- GSH

mag

I didn't have any luck looking for new drivers, I could use some help.
my o.s. is windows xp media center addition, my video card is ati mobility radeon x600.
I appreciate any input.

Nielk1

Love that version if XP. It's built on Pro but it has the amenities of Home.

Click on the image...

GSH

Radeon mobility? As in a graphics chip in your laptop? If it's that, then you'll need to go to the laptop maker's website, and search in there for graphics 'card' drivers. Let us know the laptop brand (manufacturer) and model # for your laptop if you can't find it.

My laptop is a Gateway 7515MX with either an ATI x300 or x600 chip. Never gave me any problems during BZ2 development, but I tended to do more quick tests on the laptop vs hourlong games.

-- GSH

mag

my laptop is a HP zd8230us, I got the latest driver from the HP website and I will try it out shortly in a game.
I thought I had updated it but that was before I change the hd.
thanks for your help, if this doesn't work I will let you know.

mag

nope, not working right. still having the same problem.
except this time when I restarted, it shut down again right after restart.
It started ok the next time.
any other suggestions?

swaaye

You can install the latest ATI drivers on a notebook but you first need to use the Mobility Modder on them.
http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php

Radeon X600 is considered a legacy GPU now though so make sure you download drivers that do support it. Basically make sure you choose it specifically from their drop down lists.

Also be sure to UNINSTALL the old drivers through Add/Remove Programs before installing new drivers.

Slaor

I'm running a Radeon HD 3450 on my lappy with latest drivers - and sorry to say after installing PB5.1, stock BZ2 runs like a 2 toed sloth - nearly a slideshow even @800x600 with a lot of options turned down - I get much better performance pre-directX.

Any ideas?

technoid

Quote from: Slaor on November 21, 2009, 08:30:50 PM
I'm running a Radeon HD 3450 on my lappy with latest drivers - and sorry to say after installing PB5.1, stock BZ2 runs like a 2 toed sloth - nearly a slideshow even @800x600 with a lot of options turned down - I get much better performance pre-directX.

Any ideas?

Well, if it's not drivers, then it's the graphics options in BZII. What kind of slideshow framerate are we talking about?  Under 10 fps?  Under 5 fps?  My Mobile Radeon is a 345M (RS200M AGP), older that yours, older than dirt, but BZII is running decently (and expected).  Bring all graphics to lowest settings.  Try moving Video Format, Backbuffer and Depthbuffer to 16-bit.  Multisample type to none, Multisample quality to 0.   I found that Multisample>0 makes BZII video shiver.  And shadows to none or low.  Unfortunately, low shadows doesn't work on mine, but high does (but drags video down).    Otherwise, might be DX updates as well. 

Slaor

In stock Sp missions @ 800x600 I rarely get above 15fps.

Forget Epic - it's designed to use more resources, it just spits the dummy and hangs after 30 seconds or so, no crash just slideshows to a stop. The test crew haven't reported any issues like this so far so it's probably not the Mod.

Bring all graphics to lowest settings.

No. Be buggered if I'm gonna play a 15 year old game with all settings turned down. Life is too short. If I can't get it fixed with drivers then I guess I wait for a new card, maybe.

technoid

You're only going to lowest settings to see what kind of framerates you'll be getting.  Does shortening visibilityranges (in Epic) make fps better also?   
BZII will be 15 years old around A.D. 2014.   :mrgreen:

I guess you'll have to wait for replies from those with quadcore systems.

Slaor

Of course shortening view distances and lowering settings gives slightly better frames but that's beside the point and it ain't a fix. There's an issue here somewhere, the card will run STALKER fine and I get better frames on Crysis than this... BZ2 should not be expected to chew more resources than that no matter what.