• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Anyone know how to do hard points in blender?

Started by Clavin12, November 03, 2009, 04:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clavin12

^ditto
C l a v i n 1 2

Warfreak

All you do is make an EXTREAMLY low poly object which has pivots pointed in the directions required and rename said object to "hp_blah".

In 3DS Max, i like to use tetrahedrons.

Clavin12

You see i cant seem to achieve hierarchy and this is really the main problem. Should've said that instead...
C l a v i n 1 2

Warfreak

Hmm, I haven't experimented with blender enough to know its inner workings, so can't help ya there.

Clavin12

Do you know anything that can do hierarchy and is free?
C l a v i n 1 2

Warfreak

Keep using blender, it CAN do hierarchy from what I understand. (I have imported a .3ds of the stock xsis that retained the heirarchy)

VSMIT

The HPs can be as high poly as you want, as any hidden object does not enter into the total poly count.

Blender can do hierarchy.  To do so, you need to create a "parent-child" relationship.  To make an object a child of another, select the "child" object, then also select the object you want to be the "parent."  Then hit CTRL+P and click "Make Parent."  Note that both objects have to be selected, and the second one selected will become the parent.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Clavin12

I did that and when i exported they dissapeared and all i have is a mobile lump. the good news is i managed to get it properly in game and working as a scout, minus the hard points.
C l a v i n 1 2

VSMIT

I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Dianoga4

What exporter are you using to get them in game?

Clavin12

I export them from blender into a 3ds file using the built in thing. I then open 3d exploration and save as an xsi file. I have a feeling that overmind's exporter will solve my problems if I can get it to work. And the problem is not in the .blend file but in the 3ds or xsi file. I put the hierarchy there and by the time its in bz2 its gone.
C l a v i n 1 2

BNG Da BZ Fool

Blender, is indeed a bit obscure to begin with. Truespace, groups objects together through a drag and drop operation in it's version of an H. tree. TS, uses a tool called a scene editor which displays object parts in manner similar to the way Windows organizes folders and subfolders; very simple to use C12. Try using TS to group objects together save them as a 3ds model file and then import them into Blender. PS: Once objects are created in TS they'll appear in the scene editor where they can be draged unto other objects to form the basic hi-r-key thingy.

I was also playing with blender and I see to get a list of model parts you can select the outliner tool in Blender; this must be it's version of an H. tree? Good luck. BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Clavin12

I've got the hierarchy to work properly, as well as the exporter. Now all i have to do is properly orient my hardpoints. How can you tell which way the eyepoint and weapons are pointing, if using a simple pyramid?
C l a v i n 1 2

VSMIT

If the ship is oriented correctly, and the HPs' pivots are set to the center of each mesh, it should work.

BNG Da BZ Fool

You should be able to select an HP in Blender and click on it's properties info box to see the XYZ values. Also could fire the weapon in te ship and if the direction of fire is in the right direction then you'll confirm the pivot is set correctly.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.