• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Do models need to be triangulated prior to UV mapping it?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, November 04, 2009, 10:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I use Truespace to model with, but TS doesn't automatically triangulate objects in the workspace. A UV map can be applied in this state, but there are options to triagulate the model as well.

Are triangulated models any easier to map then un-triangulated models?

I (many of us) really need some useful feedback on the UV mapping process in general terms rather then 3d modeler specific methods. What I sort of understand already is that the UV map needs to be processed in a way that seperates the models polygons to make painting the pieces easier.  I play around with the UV mapping tools in TS a lot and it seems easy enuff to apply a map to simple objects like cubes and spheres, but mapping a complex model is far more difficult from my experiences at attempting to map such a model. Could some peeps that already understand the process post a few how to UV 101 type postings for us modeling igits? Tanks, BNG.

When UV map vertices are broken and positioned do they stay broken and seperated?

If a model is remapped again do the vertices need to be broken again and seperated all over again?
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Clavin12

I suppose triangulating helps. I mapped a ship then triangulated it and one of the faces was strangely warping the picture.
C l a v i n 1 2

BNG Da BZ Fool

Triangulating the model also adds to the face count, but I was wondering if it made any difference verses not as far as UV mapping a model.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

My understanding is that all models end up triangulated in the end no matter what format they're originally created in OR fed to the renderer in.

That being said there's no real reason to triangulate faces before UV mapping, or unwrapping the UV coordinates to align the textures.  What's more important is the order and type of modifiers you apply to the texture coordinates when you're manipulating them.

You WILL find that hidden edges will do weird, warpy things IF you just drag the texture coordinates around at will.  It' s better to apply the initial mapping in proportion to the applied texture, and then stick to scale, rotate, and flip when adjusting the coordinates.  This can mean things don't fit exactly as you want them too, but it makes sure that no warpage occurs.

And, as always, keep it as simple as you can.  Don't go nuts and try to do each triangular face individually, as that will take forever AND probably not look as you intended.  I prefer to get a basic look done and then go fine tune individual faces as needed.

-Av-

BNG Da BZ Fool

The reason I ask is that TS supports a 3d paint tool that when applied automatically triangulates the face after a 3d paint effect is applied. TS, also uses mapping brushes which I don't really understand yet, but it basically just allow a texture file to be selected and applied when using the 3d paint tool.

I also figured out how to auto apply spacing to UV sections by maniputaling the bounding box that cubic mapping places around the mapped section; it can then be maually repositioned to affect the way the faces are positioned; typically I reposition it to an edge. It's pretty cool how it seperates the faces that would otherwise all overlap each other by default. I always have to go back and downsize the resulting spread, but once I resize the whole thing to fit in the UV window it's ready to be exported to my paint program. I find it so much easier to use this method rather then doing each piece one by one. This method only seems to work well with cubic mapping.

mrtwosheds

No they don't need to be triangulated.
UV mapping is done with triangles anyway, weather or not you triangulate the geometry.

In the .xsi the geometry is defined by the mesh section
The uvmapping is defined by the SI_MeshTextureCoords section.

One good reason to triangulate geometry is to spot ugly unsymmetrical bits before you put it into bz2. see fvscout Lod model. (Build half a tank, mirror it!)
One good reason not to triangulate geometry is if you are going to use it for a flame or collision.

BNG Da BZ Fool

I haven't been triagulating any of my models at all in TS. Threed, is my main XSI converter using X based models out of TS. I also use TS to UV map them as well. I've have decent luck using the stock UV map editor in TS to get some nicely prepared maps for output to my paint program lately. What seems to work well in TS is using a combination of user definable color shaders along with standard cubic mapping of my custom painted texure maps. The color shaders have controls for changing values in the mostly pattern type options like wood, tiles, etc. Most allow me to resize, rescale, change default color patterns. All are fairly easy to adjust the values to my preferences.