• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

I started making some props for BZII

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, November 12, 2009, 08:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

ive always wondered... what happens to the terrain if the terrain__h plate has more verts than the terrain underneath it?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

BNG Da BZ Fool

I was wondering about this as these props are just eye candy and serve no other purpose. I'd like to make it so that units can pass straight through them. In the past, I noticed in the FE Urban Meltdown map the units were continually getting stuck during game play in hollowed out buildings the map uses; really quite frustrating when trying to send units around the map only to find both the AI and my own units hopelessly stuck in building props ruining a otherwise perfectly good map.

What I'm asking is can my eye candy props be prepared in such a way as to make them not interfere with free unit movement?
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Nielk1

Better ODF tunnels can keep AI out of things.

Click on the image...

mrtwosheds

Buildings need an area around the collision (the base plate) It MUST be at least >=8 wide or units will get stuck pathing round it. 7.999999 will cause problems.
Buildings with no collisions are an invitation for people to put turrets inside them...
Odf tunnels tell units where they can and cannot go within a building, they also have to be the right size to work properly.

EDIT
To be clearer, A base plate using- building's collision mesh usually covers the whole area, flat (=0 height) collision must be at least 8 wide all around the building or AI units will not be able to path round the raised area. Even if it is only 0.1 high, odf tunnels must be used to get units to negotiate any collision higher than 0.
I found this out the hard way.
so a ibpgen for example has a base plate of exactly 32 square, so the collision (and the building) should not be wider than 16 or you will not have 8 flat all around it.

BNG Da BZ Fool

I see your point about placing units inside buildings without collision boxes. Although, it could be an interesting way to simulate weapons fire similar to an occupied structure. Can such buildings take damage and evtually be destroyed? Might be a cool way to make some tank bunker buildings. Has anyone ever played around with the idea of non-collision based building props?
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

mrtwosheds

Explosions damage buildings without collisions. The way to make an occupied structure would be to design it as a gt or use tapped turrets on another building. Not having collisions on solid structures just looks bad when things go through it.