• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

random idea

Started by iron maiden, November 13, 2009, 04:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clavin12

That would be annoying, frustrating, and extremely counterproductive. Maybe you could introduce something where if you fire it to fast in succession it heats up and hurts you so you have to be careful.
C l a v i n 1 2

Mr X

Quote from: Nielk1 on November 17, 2009, 03:41:20 PM
That statement goes against thousands of physics laws...

It is related to movement causing different distributions of sunlight and such, but it is not in any way caused by movement itself.

Wind is caused by the rising and falling of air according to its density changing as its temperature increases or decreases. It starts out equal to the rotation of the Earth, but as it rises or falls the distance of a full circle changes while its speed doesn't change straight away, therefore the air doesn't move at the same speed as the Earth is moving. Without the rotation of the Earth it would just be air moving up and down.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

AHadley

Quote from: Mr X on November 18, 2009, 11:16:23 AM
Wind is caused by the rising and falling of air according to its density changing as its temperature increases or decreases. It starts out equal to the rotation of the Earth, but as it rises or falls the distance of a full circle changes while its speed doesn't change straight away, therefore the air doesn't move at the same speed as the Earth is moving. Without the rotation of the Earth it would just be air moving up and down.

I'm afraid NK1 was right, it's nothing to do with rotation. You're right on pressure, temperature and density though. It's all to do with the ideal gas equation.

But back to BZ :P

Mr X

Actually, at the end of the day the Earth has to be rotating for it to work.

Quote from: AHadley on November 18, 2009, 11:27:29 AM
But back to BZ

Oh all right :P
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Nielk1

Quote from: Mr X on November 18, 2009, 11:16:23 AM
Without the rotation of the Earth it would just be air moving up and down.

Incorrect. Without the movement of all celestial bodies then the wind would not move.

Also, if the sun did revolve around the Earth we would have wind.

If the moon was orbiting to muckymuck with the tide we would have wind.

If the entire thing was static, we would still have wind because of uneven volcanic activity.

Click on the image...

Feared_1

Wind comes from changes in air pressure which is from changes in temperature and humidity. It has very little to do with celestial bodies, except for the sun, which supplies changing temperatures. If the earth did not change position in respect to the sun, we would have very few changes in wind, or weather for that matter. Ocean currents that move temperatures would still cause a few changes in the weather (assuming the moon is still rotating to help keep the currents moving).

TheJamsh

Going to share an idea that i have used in my mod already.

water/sea ripples and currents, you can generate waves or whatever sizes out at sea, by texturing and colouring the ground underneath it to the same as the water. Now granted this only works on shallow water and its not brilliant, but you can generate sound too. Obviously this relies on the siesmic class to work.

Im working on other ways to get this to work. BBB used an effect to draw his water in FS2, which again you may be able to use to your advantage with specialy shaped draw_geoms.

Its MUCH easier to do this on maps PURELY based on water. If you have land, it aint gunna look that good. You can make ships 'psuedo' interact with the water with carefully tuned LIFT_SPRING and LIFT_DAMP settings to make ships bounce. I do this on my surface skimmers to make them appear to be bouncing accross the water.

Did this make sense? doubt it... im in college and have a lack of brain power atm. Busy week.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Clavin12

Heres an idea. Sand dunes that are actually objects and explode in a burst of dust when you drive through them
C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

TJ, at least it won't look much worse than Halo water.

Dark Scion Soldier

Quote from: Clavin12 on November 19, 2009, 09:37:13 AM
Heres an idea. Sand dunes that are actually objects and explode in a burst of dust when you drive through them

FS2's reeds do that. Except they catch on fire.
Aquatic: *on hold* 52% done overall.

TheJamsh

Quote from: Clavin12 on November 19, 2009, 09:37:13 AM

Proxy mine, but you do NOT know how hard it would be to do this and get them to blend with terrain, and work seamlessly

bigbadbogie

Tripmine which creates a terrain object that reshapes the dune and causes dust effect.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

Quote from: bigbadbogie on November 20, 2009, 01:26:57 AM
Tripmine which creates a terrain object that reshapes the dune and causes dust effect.

Better idea than mine actually. Although i dont think you can have effects on tripmines when they fire off can you? (Haven't tried before) Although i guess a limited life-span hardpoint effect on the terrain object would do it just fine.

ODF tunnels could make units drive over them too.

Clavin12

Here's another suggestion. I know water units have been explored before but here it is: you could make a unit that would start out in the water, you know with the altitude set to whatever to make it partly submerged, but then you'd give it no climbing ability, so it couldn't get out of the water.
C l a v i n 1 2

TheJamsh

Yeh but that doesnt work as well as you might think. The only two vehicle types capable of travelling underwater PROPERLY are APC and Artillery class. Both of which dont have enough flags to get working flawlessly. DLL really is the only way to do it totally.