• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Is it the source or my cd drive?

Started by Clavin12, November 17, 2009, 10:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clavin12

So I've downloaded Xubuntu and burnt the ISO properly. Md5 sum is ok and all. I try to install it and it gives me a corrupt file error. I've redownloaded it from several mirrors, reburnt the iso at several speeds, tried the alternate installer and even a different build but it just won't go away. So I want to know is it the source or is it my CD drive?
C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

Most likely your drive, but it could also be that your PC doesn't like the installer that gets burnt to the disk. I have the same problem with the FS2 installer. *Pokes BBB*

VSMIT

Why do you want Xubuntu?  Losing touch with Windows?
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

ScarleTomato

i've rarely had luck with linux installations from CDs. The live CD usually works fine but if i want to do a full on installation I almost always have to use a USB stick.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ has a ton of pretty good walkthroughs for making a USB drive

Clavin12

Quote from: VSMIT on November 17, 2009, 11:46:47 AM
Why do you want Xubuntu?  Losing touch with Windows?

I don't have a windows CD and I have a computer that has no OS. Xubuntu is less resource intensive than Ubuntu, and a lot less intensive than windows. It's not a problem with the installer because I'm booting the CD not installing through windows. The installer works fine but I have corrupt files. The check disk integrity thing tells me as well as the installer. IDK if my PC can boot from usb, its pretty old.
C l a v i n 1 2

sabrebattletank

I really recommend ordering a ubuntu CD: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ that as to lose the "oh, did I burn it wrong??!?" questions.

Sure, it takes a couple weeks, but that leaves you time to try and find other solutions, and if none appear, the Ubuntu CD arrives right before you cry out of desperation. Voila.

Clavin12

Already done that. It's holding the max amount of ram it can take (its a laptop) and that is not enough for ubuntu. I went to a forum with this problem and they told me Xubuntu.
C l a v i n 1 2

sabrebattletank

Gotcha. Can you order a Xubuntu one? I'm not sure, I'd look but I have to run out the door to go play some Steinway pianos before they close. I love NYC.

Nielk1

Did you finalize the disk? Some computers still need finalized disks to run some things.

Click on the image...

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

sabrebattletank

And you don't have Windows installed, so the wubi installer's no go as well, correct? http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

I mean you could always hook up the hard drive to another computer, boot it up, then install in from there, but that may be more trouble than it's worth.

Clavin12

That actually isn't a bad idea. Can laptop hard drives connect to desktop cables?
C l a v i n 1 2

ScarleTomato

is it SATA or IDE? If SATA then yes it can. If IDE then you have to get a converter.