• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone1 kerfuffle

Started by Ultraken, November 20, 2009, 01:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dx

I never said the quote was a link. :p

AHadley

Quote from: Ultraken on December 01, 2009, 10:36:19 AM
Also, quoting a forum post is not a link.   :-D

That was to be my next argument :P

I have looked it up and the installer is not inherrently illegal, but it sits quite neatly within the grey area surrounding BZ. Especially since it's the only way I know of to get it working on W7.

Dx

Quote from: AHadley on December 01, 2009, 10:47:11 AM
I have looked it up and the installer is not inherrently illegal

So copyright law doesn't last 90 years, great, when did you change it?

Ultraken

Quote from: AHadley on December 01, 2009, 10:47:11 AM
I have looked it up and the installer is not inherrently illegal, but it sits quite neatly within the grey area surrounding BZ.
While not blatantly objectionable like a warez copy of a currently-available title, it's still in that annoying category of "technically illegal" despite Activision and Atari's almost complete lack of interest in it.

(Of course, it's almost impossible to get through your day without doing something "technically illegal"...)

Dx

My point was to protect the forum. I see i'm wasting my time.
But if a mod. is going to post the same thing Spock did and he was banned for it and now it's ok, you should unban Spock and apologize to him.

General BlackDragon

Technically it isnt even a hyperlink.  :evil:

<evil laugh?>

*****General BlackDragon*****

Ultraken

Caution is understandably warranted since trouble is often just a selective enforcement away.

I gather that there has been some colorful history regarding links to that site--and I'm much too casual about these things myself--but my take is that hosting an all-in-one installer for a single ten-year-old game should not make one so radioactive that linking to their forum jeopardizes this forum.  The site administrators may see things differently, though...

Posting links to active warez sites is another matter entirely, since that can quickly bring down a world of hurt if not dealt with.  That definitely calls for a proper smackdown and application of the banhammer.

It's all about finding the proper balance.

When we get down to it, we're all wasting our time.  We've just found an entertaining way to do it.  I even work in an industry whose entire purpose is to waste people's time in interesting ways.   :-D

Anyway, back to kerfuffling!

General BlackDragon

Hey ken, I'm attending the IADT college, I hope to join you in that industry soon  :-D

*****General BlackDragon*****

Ultraken

Games: It's jot just a job; it's a way of life!   :-D

Nielk1

I'm at Drexel and lets not forget Steeveeo is at that place I forget the name of for Game and Simulation Programming (which seems to go front end inward while what I am learning is back end out, like they learn displacement maps when I learned ASM).

I wonder what will happen when we all get together in the future with programming skills.

Click on the image...

sabrebattletank

Steeveeo

Quote from: Nielk1 on December 01, 2009, 01:52:15 PM
I'm at Drexel and lets not forget Steeveeo is at that place I forget the name of for Game and Simulation Programming (which seems to go front end inward while what I am learning is back end out, like they learn displacement maps when I learned ASM).

I wonder what will happen when we all get together in the future with programming skills.
For the 50th time, DeVry.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Nielk1

You would think I would know from the commercials.

Click on the image...

eddywright

Quote from: Steeveeo on December 01, 2009, 02:33:10 PM
For the 50th time, DeVry.

I'm attending DeVry as well, online though. Gotta love the virtual classroom.

Eddy

Quote from: Dx on December 01, 2009, 11:21:11 AM
My point was to protect the forum. I see i'm wasting my time.
But if a mod. is going to post the same thing Spock did and he was banned for it and now it's ok, you should unban Spock and apologize to him.

I would have to agree with this...  consistancy is very important in my universe.  The process in place should apply to all equally and be applied in the same steps and at the same pace.

Quote from: Ultraken on December 01, 2009, 11:56:58 AM
Caution is understandably warranted since trouble is often just a selective enforcement away.

I gather that there has been some colorful history regarding links to that site--and I'm much too casual about these things myself--but my take is that hosting an all-in-one installer for a single ten-year-old game should not make one so radioactive that linking to their forum jeopardizes this forum.  The site administrators may see things differently, though...

I direct everyone to here:  http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,7724.0.html

It's exactly the "selective enforcement" issue that created the extremely sensitive environment here.  A casual link to the front page of a site that somewhere on it has a "grey area" all-in-one installer for a single ten-year-old game that the developer and publisher no longer cares about is exactly what started the whole thing, simply because someone took it on themselves to bring CmptrWz's provider into the fray.

That step is why we are where we are with this stuff.  The fact that I, too, am somewhat casual about such things is why there are radically different reactions depending on what Mod sees what post and when...

Still, I respect the Rend out of CmptrWz and will never knowingly do anything to cause him grief after ALL of the generosity and help he's given the Community.  I hope everyone here feels the same.

-Av-