• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

computer help

Started by RABBITPOLICE, November 21, 2009, 08:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RABBITPOLICE

ello im pretty sure almost all of you work with computers so im gona ask you a question

you see I have an e monster 500 with a 500mhz pentium 3 processor its the only computer I can use
the question is if i bought a pentium 3 with 1ghz for 20$ and put it in will it work right?

or should I just but an old computer tower with 800mhz for 20$

oh and I have opened up computers before I switched the color card and changed the cdrom
and ive also popped in and popped out hard drives

I hope you guys can help me thanks
The Rabbitpolice anti gangster task force was founded in 2003 but because this force is fiction there are still gangsters in oakland but a differnt force of cops are trying to get em out instead of calling the isdf (now a word from are sponsers)BEAT IT JUST BEAT IT JUST BEAT IT

Clavin12

Well first of all, using periods might help.
C l a v i n 1 2

technoid

Quote from: RABBITPOLICE on November 21, 2009, 08:40:04 AM
ello im pretty sure almost all of you work with computers so im gona ask you a question

you see I have an e monster 500 with a 500mhz pentium 3 processor its the only computer I can use
the question is if i bought a pentium 3 with 1ghz for 20$ and put it in will it work right? 

or should I just but an old computer tower with 800mhz for 20$

oh and I have opened up computers before I switched the color card and changed the cdrom
and ive also popped in and popped out hard drives

I hope you guys can help me thanks

It's not quite that easy (sometimes though).  We need to know the capabilities of that motherboard.  Looks like the eMonster 500 is from e-Machines.  Per that spec, your CPU is in a Slot 1 formfactor.  A 1.0GHz Pentium III is most likely a PGA formfactor (but there are some 1.0 GHz Slot 1's).  Won't work.  Even if you could fit it in there, the motherboard will dictate how fast your CPU will go and is probably only hardwired to around 500 MHz, especially if it's from eMachines, heh.  You can try maxing out memory to 256MB, if you haven't already.   Contact eMachines for possible upgrade solutions for that system.

That 800 MHz system will probably be a better choice for upgrading to, if you can get it for $20.  What CPU is it?  Pentium III also?

RABBITPOLICE

the second choice im not sure im just gona look for an old computer on ebay
thanks thou
The Rabbitpolice anti gangster task force was founded in 2003 but because this force is fiction there are still gangsters in oakland but a differnt force of cops are trying to get em out instead of calling the isdf (now a word from are sponsers)BEAT IT JUST BEAT IT JUST BEAT IT

squirrelof09

Geez, I thought my Amd dual core 3.22 Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 250 OC, 4 GB ddr2 800mhz Ram was a bit out of date. At least the new 21.5 inch monitor makes up for the rest of the computer being out of date.

Anyway, enough about me. Post some links of some computers you are interested on ebay. You may end up buying a better computer in the long run off ebay, provided you spend a little more than just twenty bucks.
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

technoid

Quote from: RABBITPOLICE on November 21, 2009, 10:04:27 AM
the second choice im not sure im just gona look for an old computer on ebay
thanks thou

Yep, be sure you know what you're getting, including condition (used, new, refurb, for parts, for repair, etc) so read all the fine print by the sellers. 

Quote from: squirrel on November 21, 2009, 11:16:52 AM
Geez, I thought my Amd dual core 3.22 Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 250 OC, 4 GB ddr2 800mhz Ram was a bit out of date.

I doubt BZII will work on my Commodore 64(s), even with the 4 MHz 65C02 accelerator attached.   :mrgreen:

VSMIT

Quote from: technoid on November 21, 2009, 01:58:07 PM
I doubt BZII will work on my Commodore 64(s), even with the 4 MHz 65C02 accelerator attached.   :mrgreen:
It might.  :-D
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

AHadley

Best option is actually scratchbuild. The one I am currently looking at is a computer powerful enough to run anything ever released for PC on mid/high spec for just under £400.