• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

3d max help

Started by Dianoga4, November 22, 2009, 07:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dianoga4

I've used 3d max quite a few times to get things into BZ2 and other games. One thing that seems to trouble me still sometimes though is the scaling transforms that go all whacky. What I mean is in 3dmax your model looks fine after scaling it but when you get it in game, if there are multiple parts to the model, some are that scaled properly and some that didn't scale. Same happens when the model is just one piece. You scale it in 3dmax but it doesn't change scale in game. Now I've used the Reset Transform and Scaling thing before but it doesn't always seem to work. I've tried reseting the transform and scaling for each piece separately as well and it didn't seem to help. I'm just wondering if anyone might know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

anomaly

What do the transform matrices of the parts look like in the .xsi file?  How do the matrices of the ones that are working properly compare to the ones that are not?

Nielk1

You must reset the transformation and scaling one part at a time. I go from the most child parts and move upward, one at a time.

Click on the image...

Dianoga4

I'll give it another look tomorrow. I don't know how to read the xsi's but I know I've done it before in 3dmax. I'll give that a shot again Nielk, thanks.

anomaly

You can just open the xsi in wordpad and search for FrameTransformMatrix.  There should be one at the top of the entry for each object in the model.  I believe this what one should look like after reseting the transform and scaling:

FrameTransformMatrix {
      0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,1.000000;;
   }

If you have different numbers, and its on one of the objects that's not looking right, then that might be your problem.

Nielk1

Nope, the scaling of that is ignored by BZ2 so it will look the same no matter how you change it. Resetting it in max applies it directly to the mesh.

Click on the image...

Dianoga4

Well I haven't tried anything yet today because I just got home but I thought I would mention that I'm not only asking about this for working on BZ2, this is also for working on other things in 3dmax. That's why I asked it in the OT forum and not the BZ2 mod forum. In this particular case I'm actually asking it because I volunteer on another game as well and was running into the problem. Thanks for the info, it's always appreciated. :)

Dx

Quote from: Nielk1 on November 22, 2009, 08:20:28 PM
You must reset the transformation and scaling one part at a time. I go from the most child parts and move upward, one at a time.

I resently had to do that on a animated model and tried it that way, I ended up doing it from parent to child.