• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Edit the MBR from an Ubuntu Live Disk

Started by sabrebattletank, November 27, 2009, 02:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabrebattletank

So, in trying to get Windows bootable from an old XP drive, we broke the master boot record and not it can't detect the file system for the main partition.

Does anyone know of any utilities to edit the MBR, preferably from a Ubuntu live disk? Our XP disks are cracked/lost.

Thanks in advance.

Zero Angel

Well, it is always possible to download a copy of Windows XP to replace your destroyed/lost XP disks, or simply use someone else's XP disk (the activation process is tied to your product key, not your disk) -- it's not really illegal (to my knowledge) as long as you don't use cracks.

From there you boot the disk and go into repair mode and run the commands: "fixboot" and/or "fixmbr". Which will restore your OS into a bootable state.

There's 3 possible ways your booting up could be compromised.

P1: The boot sector is damaged
S1a: Can be fixed by running 'fixmbr' from a Windows XP disk/Repair mode
S1b: Can also be fixed by installing 'grub' (the linux bootloader) -- typically accompanied by a linux install as well

P2: The boot loader is damaged
S2: Can be fixed by running 'fixboot' from a Windows XP disk/Repair mode

P3: The text file 'boot.ini' is corrupt or has been improperly modified
S3a: Can be fixed by running 'fixboot' from a windows XP disk/Repair mode
S3b: Can also be fixed by mounting the Windows XP disk in ubuntu/live mode -- then editing the boot.ini file and fixing the problem by correcting the bad entries.

I don't know if its possible to install the grub bootloader without a linux partition.

Whichever way you decide to go, let me know and i'll see if I can help you out. I do however, recommend the 'download windows XP -> repair -> fixboot' method, there are legitimate versions (even ones that are patched to SP3) you can get to help with that. Keep in mind it's best to get an XP disk which is the same type as your install (if reinstalling WinXP, retail product keys will not work with an OEM version disk, and vice-versa).
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

sabrebattletank

We actually got it to work via restoring Dell's backup mbr. Thanks ZA!
We didn't actually want to install linux/grub on this machine, for whatever reason.

Zero Angel

QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

sabrebattletank

What we did was download someone's DOS utility and boot from a DOS disk I think.