• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

I'm writing a sci-fi/fantasy novel

Started by Clavin12, November 28, 2009, 05:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clavin12

I know your probably skeptical but how does a guy waking up with no memory in the heart of a giant sentient machine sound? I has a few chapters already but was stupid, and sleepy when I accidentally wiped the hard drive it was on.
C l a v i n 1 2

Steeveeo

Quote from: Clavin12 on November 28, 2009, 05:37:09 AM
I know your probably skeptical but how does a guy waking up with no memory in the heart of a giant sentient machine sound?

Cliché.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

lucky_foot

As a writer it can seem "cliche", but it really depends on how you carry out the story if it's cliche or not.

Jonathan S.

iron maiden

The initial idea sounds interesting, but you'll have to give us a little more to work with before we can fully judge.
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

Clavin12

The basic plot is him escaping from this machine, along with smaller plotlines discovered as you go on and (maybe) in the sequel.
C l a v i n 1 2

Nielk1

I guess my first question is can you even write well.

Click on the image...

iron maiden

That would be good to know before you start writing a book. Good writing is the most important part of the book. [unless its a picture book]

Nielk1

I mean, for example, I write rather well but I tend to throw in words that are above certain readers' levels in sentences that otherwise are not and I tend to be overly brief.

Click on the image...

iron maiden

Same, I have trouble with putting to many words in a sentence, run on sentences, etc.

Clavin12

I can write well if it's something I like. I have to both read and write to be able to write, so writing a novel isn't just for bragging.
C l a v i n 1 2

iron maiden

That's pretty much the same for any writer. I write history reports well becuase I like history, if I had to write a report on mathamatics, it would take me a lot longer.

lucky_foot

Writing is also practice. More practice they better your write. :)

Jonathan S.

AHadley

I've been writing a story too, and was trying to keep it under my hat but I give up :P

The only fault in my writing that I know about is to have long sections of dialog where I don't mention who speaks. Not a problem when I've got two people talking directly, but when there are three or more things can get confusing for the reader.

Might post it up here someday. It's a dystopia, and I know how you guys love those :P

Nielk1

I just randomly though of some sentences and the word auspicious popped in. That is what I mean why the higher lv words thing.

Click on the image...

iron maiden

Ah, I see, I Think that old books from the turn of the century are better unabridged, just thought I would bring that up.