• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone Modeling

Started by TheWall, December 07, 2009, 07:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bb1

Pop gun was the early version of the Javelin. Not bad for a 30- year head start ;)

Same with the Abrams compared to the Grizzly. Imagine- Battlezone: Modern Warfare to get the gist of what I'm thinking. Steeveos (name spelling forgive me) Dark Matter bomb comes to mind...

Blunt Force Trauma

And that's the thing about BZ, how much tech does the NSDF and the Soviets 'get' to reverse engineer in the late 60's?  The game suggests it's a freaky mix of old tech and some advanced tech somehow gleamed from the scrap that was found.  Or...possibly an easy out. . "area 51" tech brought into the arena.

What are the limits, high AND low? Some are too silly to consider, i.e. being able to hit a golf ball further than any weapon on the battlefield? Then again, some limits are too generous, being able to have unlimited propulsion, both anti-grav AND propellants. Being able to load totally different weapon systems on the fly.  Being able to build 'unlimited ships' as long as you have scrap, and that scrap can take absolutely every single shape, conductivity, lattice structure, firmware element, tolerance, transparency, etc., etc., in a matter of seconds.

I've tried 'tighten' up on the wackiness, but the game throws too much of it at you, so the decision has to be made somewhere.

bb1

Probably not unlimited propulsion. What has been observed is unlimited, but I've flown for maybe 2 hours max before calling it quits. They may get a charge in between missions or simply recycled and remade into another shape size and type ;)

They all get their power from the geyser power source in BZ1. Every ship is powered geothermically. Which is what makes BZ2 so unbelievable- I can't say there is power coming into the tanks from anywhere. Instead, you make something that makes power. 

???

Everything probably happens in between missions and such. Same thing as "you don't see comics characters taking a poo, now, do you?"

Blunt Force Trauma

Quote from: bb1 on December 12, 2009, 11:06:18 PM
Everything probably happens in between missions and such. Same thing as "you don't see comics characters taking a poo, now, do you?"

I think some are doing it in their ships.  I've sniped people then got into their ships, and many times it smelled like a mix of some college kid's dorm room dirty clothes bag and a baby's diaper after it ate 5 jars of stewed prunes.     :-P :cry:

ssuser

To avoid such smelly situations in strat games, you can play with the barracks option turned on, so there are latrines available.  :-D

Josiah

eh, I always thought of it as the ship's engines are mini nuclear reactors; when you step on the gas, radioactive material is pumped in, resulting in a controlled reaction(read:explosion directed in opposite direction of travel); when you let off, only a tiny amount of 'fuel' is pumped in, to keep the reaction going. That is why there is a giant explosion every time a ship is blown up: the fuel lines/storage are severed, resulting in all the fuel being 'dumped' into the reaction, hence, the explosion.

I guess you could see your hull as the amount of fuel you have; when you get low, you'd beter watch out!

just my opinion...

AHadley

I always thought it was plasma engines, like Russia were actually developing back then.

Ultraken

I don't think we ever defined how the thrusters worked, but they do look like some kind of high-density plasma rocket.

Blunt Force Trauma

I may be off base here, but I have the feeling there wasn't a whole lot of back and forth with engineers and physicists when developing the models, weapons and propulsion systems.

I 'm thinkin it was a lot more "Damn, that looks cool." type modeling.  :mrgreen:

bb1

Czar doesn't have any jets at all- they use a completely different thruster design. Probably the same as found on the recy, MUF, and constructor. Probably an old design that uses the inherently antigravity elements of biometal rather than a jet as it is much slower and agile than the newer engines.

Muzzle velocity, thrusters?  F=ma, inertia???  INERTIA for God's sake???

Ahem...

"biometal"

End of discussion.

:)

C'mon, it's all biometal.  

It's all mass to energy and back again with no loss, no real mechanism, and no harmful radiation.  Step on the gas in a Czar and in infinitesimal amount of biometal converts to energy, reorients the space around the ship, and off you go.  The limits imposed were so the pilots can keep their sanity inside something that just moves with no feeling of thrust.  The Chinese ships grasped this concept wonderfully.

Jets are as useless as those prevously mentioned turbines, and would only be a major disadvantage to a war ship on a dark moon.  I'd even go as far as saying that traitor Arkin probably fitted the Grizzly with them so the Golems had something to shoot at from across the map...   :-P

Actually, working for the Government as I do, I can see some General asking "Where's the ROCKETS on these dang things boy?", and some scientist being told to add thrusters just to make the idiot in charge happy.

So, OK, it's got thrusters, maybe to boost maneuverability.  I still say five is still too many but OK, it's got them.  The mechanics of it are they're specks of biometal converting to energy in the form of a plasma discharge...  

As to ordnance, think biometal shells, rockets, and mortars.

Shoot a biometal shell from a biometal ship and the same thing happens.  An infinitesimal amount of the shell's biometal converts to energy, reorients space and the thing takes off.  Terms like 'shell', 'rocket', etc. were just the grunts way of trying to understand something beyond the limits of 50's technology.  That shell is actually a mini-Tank with no pilot, life support, or weapons.

When that shell hits an infinitesimal amount converts to energy and BLAM, you have an explosion.  Again, the limits were such that one ship wouldn't destroy whatever planet or moon you were on.  Remember, humans have to use these things without killing themselves or attracting attention by blowing up Mars...

If an inertia-immune shell leaves an inertia-immune ship and hits another inertia-immune ship what sort of inertia issues would you have?  Hah!  Trick question!  Inertia is on vacation where biometal is concerned...    :-D

The speeds, maneuvering characteristics, and weapon strengths were all taken from Earth standard munitions and ships, so that humans could grasp and effectively use them in quick and vicious dogfights.  This is the same reason they all handle the same despite varying Gravity conditions on the various planets and moons.  The point is to make their handling and performance consistant, so the pilots would perform consistantly.

So there...   :-P

(Read the SKYLARK series for ordnance that is basically metal converting to energy, and how they created various intensity shells that deliberately released only tiny fractions of the full energy available to make them usable...)

-Av-

Warfreak

You have opened the doors to Lice-Sized Biometal Robots that can destroy planets with a bobby pin tip sized ordinance..... in less than the time it takes you to blink. :P

Shhhh...  those are still in the testing stage...   :roll:

-Av-

Back to the modelling question.

IF Wall makes a master Grizzly I can crank out vacumn-formed stryene model 'kits' en masse.

HOW MANY PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT ONE???

I'd love to make and paint up a few of them and send them to George Collins, Andrew Goldman, and Will Stahl.  (I'd make one for Ken but he'd just start adding things to it and before you knew it... well, you know...)   :)

-Av-

TheWall

UMMMmmmmmmmm... Where is it, that the RENDERING of the Grizzly came from, that is in BlackDragons' "Battlezone Classic" signature?

ME needs that tank........ or higher res pic(s)

QuoteIF Wall makes a master Grizzly I can crank out vacumn-formed stryene model 'kits' en masse.

And, what would you want... the actual "solid" or a mould (cavity)?

Kevin - AKA TheWall

Blunt Force Trauma

Quote from: Avatar on December 15, 2009, 05:18:00 PM

It's all mass to energy and back again with no loss, no real mechanism, and no harmful radiation.  
-Av-

Basically full E=mc2 capability. . . matter-antimatter energies :?  Yeow!

The problem there is there's no real need to fight over it. All you need is a few pounds of it to provide the needs of the entire planet and any off-planet needs for, well. . . several lifetimes.