• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

My pilot doesn't drown!!! :)

Started by appel, March 02, 2004, 12:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

appel

Shouldn't my pilot drown if I'm in water? Maybe not something that I've found missing, but we do try to keep everything realistic right? :D

CmptrWz

You are wearing a suit that protects you from drowning. Also reduces polygons, no ears or nose or anything :p

SilverB1rd

there is an aqua lung built into the helmet. DOH!

Um...

It's a SPACE SUIT...

Works on the moon, and who says that stuff on Mire is air???  Maybe it's pure CO2...

-Av-

Weevil

IceWendigo

As mentioned its a space suit, you can walk on an airless moon or go below water no problem.

Tempest Storm

the drowning isn't a problem, its the walking through water as if it wasn't there is what bugs me. ;)

IceWendigo

I have to admit that id like to jump higher when in a water pit with vertical walls (to simulate swiming) cause if your jumppack is used up you might get stuck?

Tempest Storm

I rememnber having a discussion with Ken about how pilots were pretty wacky and unfinished in BZ2. Eventually the idea of implementing a simple method of swimming that would basicly work like it would in Quake come up, but it never actually got anywhere. Would have been cool though. :)

Black Hunter

Quote from: AvatarUm...

It's a SPACE SUIT...

Works on the moon, and who says that stuff on Mire is air???  Maybe it's pure CO2...

-Av-

Av, I believe the in-game planetary descriptions state that Mire has carbon-based vegetation and amphibians, so I think earthly visitors can remove environmental suits if they so choose without turning a deathly shade of green. :)

For those who don't believe me, you can check out "mire.des", located under config\single in data.pak. Heck, I'll even post it here...

Polar radius          6156 km
Surface gravity       8.78 m/s
Black-body temp       247.3 K
Solar irradiance     1367.6 W/m   
Escape velocity         11.19 km/s   

Lifeforms: Carbon based vegetation
                 Amphibions

Now, I'm no environmental expert, but I think Mire is very similar to Earth, except that it's quite a bit wetter.

Der Vampyr Engel

Pity you couldn't have a swimming animation so the pilot actually swims in the water rather than just run around in it

Tigger

BZ2 is not just some FPS where gameplay is compromised to enhance special effects.  :lol:

Huscar

You could also say the suit is so heavy that it doesn't float. However some special water things would be nice, sinking slowly... maybe something that makes you die after you reach a certain dept because the water pressure is to high. Swimming would be the top.