• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

[Lifting 1.3] Models & Textures: will be updated ?

Started by eon5, March 04, 2004, 04:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eon5

im thinking in a "up to day" BZ2 lifting  :lol:

Its possible to have more detailed textures in terrains and buildings ?
And put BZ2 in a new "fashion" look?

Its possible to remake the shape models, making its with more faces and details ?

- I read about the xsi format that BZ2 use... and think:
If Softimage3D v3.8 will import/export xsi fileformat without troubles... Modelers will import the old BZ2 shapes... remake its and export, without any configuration problem for gamengine

same names, sames anims, same childs... only shapes details changes.

and... same thing with textures, only preserving filenames...

Is it possible to do ?   8)

Slaor

That would have to be what is commonly referred to as a mod - and a pretty involved one at that ;)

I'm guessing that most modders at that skill level would rather make their own stuff or at least introduce something new, rather than rebuild the old stuff with more polys. I also dunno if it's a good idea to deliberately increase the resource cost of playing in this way - BZ2 chews enough resources, especially in MP.

Some of the buildings could use a facelift tho...

Huscar

Think of it in the same way as Slaor, if this would be in something like a 1.4 patch (plaese no!) you will also risk to lose many players just because their comp can't handle it.

That IS a good idea but best left for a 'Maximum BZ2' mod similar to what other games have had.

The models aren't that hard to 'up' poly-wise, but the textures would require someone with artistic talent...  I KNOW we have some here that could handle it, but would they?

-Av-

Slaor

If I'm still modding BZ2 when average gaming PC hits 10Ghz (oh god NOOO) then I'll think about it LOL ;)

BZZERKER

I take it you want to return to the days when BZ2 would choke a top of line computer. The Graphics code is still pumped through the CPU like it always has\will be. More polys to draw will only create those same old problems all over again. Nice idea though.

NukeDaddy

Quote from: BZZERKER
The Graphics code is still pumped through the CPU like it always has\will be.

I've learned that this is still common amongst the most recent of games today (BF1942 and Vietcong in particular).  So I guess that means BZ2 programmers were ahead of their time..... ;)

Fonbu

I might be new here, but you know how theres tabs in the video display settings for battlezone for like small, medium and large textures. Would it be possible to make video presents like, in other games,.... low, medium high, but adjust all the various settings, for the different levels, and make a special setting for hosting games. So some more cpu cycles can be saved for the game server! or not!

eon5

That IS a good idea but best left for a 'Maximum BZ2' mod similar to what other games have had.

ohoh... let me see...

its possible to make a mod (updating textures/models) that will be FULL INET COMPATIBLE with 1.3-NO MOODED versions ?

:?

PhoeniX-FlamE

i dont understand your question
what is 1.3-NO MOODED version?

Huscar

My guess, bz2 version 1.3 without any mod. Just guessing...

PhoeniX-FlamE

so the question is if u can make a mod to stock 1.3?
:? :s

huscar did u understand his question? :s

Slaor

I did - interesting question. I don't know if the actual textures and xsi's are included in assets check (for MP compatibility) or whether it's just ODFs. Probably safe to assume that textures aren't checked (no sense in it) and can't see a reason why a new mesh would cause assets problems if it's in game function was kept the same (ie: no ODF change).

So I'm guessing that the answer would be yes - it would be possible to completely replace all the textures and xsi's (with teletubbies if you wanted) and still be perfectly 1.3 compatible.

//Disclaimer// Active word here is guess - if assets check audits the .msh files then answer would be no.

Aegeis

According to TV changing meshes does cause gamestates and resycns.  Also you can change the textures used in a map in its trn file and not cause bad assets.

Slaor

But not bad assets? That's interesting - maybe something to do with unexpectedly moved HPs or something. Purely visual changes would be almost entirely handled locally by the client machine, but there's a whole bunch of game function wrapped up into a msh file...