• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

(MAJOR) Race mode doesnt work at all

Started by Jwk the Hemp Monkey, March 13, 2004, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

Exactly what it says on the tin.

When Commando was hosting a couple of days ago, he tried to do a race map, and it loaded up fine....but not matter what the settings we tried, it was not a 'race' game. Everything was there, its just no targets 'popped up' for us to race to.

This is areal shame, because the new fantastic physics really 'cling' the terrain, opening up possiabilties for 'rally raceing' style maps...

Also...could it be made that a 'lap' does not equate going though all the points 4 x. It would be nice if a map maker could make a nice long race track that was not infinate, just point A to point B.

Which gives me an idea! instead of having a race map where one has to all race simultaniously...how about having a race map where only 'one' person races at a time...and the others wait for the time to complete the lap. AkA Rally Driving...

And to keep the other players entertained...one could mabey make it so that the other players saw from the cockpit perspective, what the 'current racer' was seeing.

If the current racer dies...he loses that go and the next contestant stands up.

Is that possiable? what do you think of the idea?

Oooo i hope its possiable! City racing...mount racing (fall off the edge and start again lol), racing though the jungle. Superbe!

technoid

Did each of you pass through all your checkpoints?  And when you did pass them, did you see a new location for the next checkpoint nav/marker pop up visually?  What about the timelimit?  And did you guys go clockwise?  I know that's confusing and it shouldn't matter, but at least everyone should go the same direction or else it will look like that Monty Python skit where everyone goes off in any direction at the start of a sprint, heh.  There is no added code to tell you that you are going in the wrong direction, or large fonts and sounds when new checkpoints popped up, or even the countdown shown in the HUD.  These were extraneous features and we only did enough redesign, recode and testing to put out a decent Race mode without losing focus and time on the rest of the BZII.  And yes, one lap is 4 circuits.

I personally was the one who discovered that RACE mode was in disrepair and help design and test it the way it is now in my 3 months of private beta. There is at least one RACE thread in private beta that I started.  Red Devil and I did tests, but it wasn't totally heavy testing (we clearly saw the race win messages), but I suppose some other bugs could have been missed.

Some things that we did not test were:  long timelimits, high lap counts and more than 2 players.  Who wants to go round and round for 30 minutes?  :D

Note to RACE mappers:  Use painted arrows on terrain so at least we know which way to go.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

Well...no targets came up on the HUD full stop. It was as if it was a DM.

technoid

You mean none of you saw the checkpoint navs and drove over them?  I just tried it on public beta alone, completed 1 lap, won the game and it properly booted me back to the server lobby.  The only thing I changed was changing laps to 1 (default is 2 I think).  Race mode is far from being user-friendly ingame, i.e. confusing where next to drive to, and especially on this one Pluto map. Otherwise something is amiss with your setups.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

Well i am one of those people who has always saw more potential in race maps, and i never really found them confusing. But yes, there were no targets to drive over. We just all spawned in the same spot....and then that was it. The time limit (think it was 15) ticked away, and we shot the crap out of eachother.

Heh....playing as sentries only with insta-kill on...or 500% damage or something would be rather cool.....got to dodge all those seeker mines, and oh no! i hit my own one! booooom.

Commando

I hosted the games that Hemp Monkey mentioned.  I set the damage multiplier to 1000% for the first game thwn about 200%  to 250% for the second game.  Like monkey said, the bases weren't targeted for ius.  The race map, pluto, didn't seem to work.  I'll have to try it with the stock settings to see if the laps or the damage multiplier broke the game mode.

MowerMan

The only thing that seemed to work, was the auto-targeting the flag carrier.

Commando

Odd, CTF is broken too?  I know I didn't get a target for anything druring the two race games, so I just played standard DM on the map.  The only real differences were the map, the time limit, and the inability to add bots, that made it different from DM.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

I have played some CTF games and they seemed to work fine.

technoid

I know that CTF was redone a little, because it was somewhat broken too, but I personally didn't do much testing on it (a tad less testing than I did with Race).   As for Race mode, I don't know what is going on. Has anyone tried testing it alone? Surely works for me.  I'll have to do with more than 1 players. Keep the weapons stuff to default, i.e. no 1-shot configs.  That could be one place that is still broken. Also, the checkpoint message navs aren't in any fancy blinking text. They are in white/lightgray, but they do have that spinning crosshair, so it should at least be seen if you are scanning the entire monitor.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

I am aware what race mod is! lol. I played it a fair few times in 1.2, where it worked fine.

From what you are saying, it seems to work if you host it on your own, but it fails if you have people actually joining your server.

technoid

Quote from: Jwk the Hemp MonkeyI am aware what race mod is! lol.
[/size]Huh?

Red and I tested Race together several times, so I know that it worked back then.  Maybe it got broken in the public beta release.

deadscion

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

QuoteMaybe it got broken in the public beta release.

YES! all of my posts on this fourm are with reguards to 1.3 beta. Not 1.2

I have never had any problems with 1.2 race.