• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Why is the range of all the weapons so limited?

Started by Knight, March 14, 2004, 09:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knight

This is not a dig at 1.3  I just prefer to post here.
It seems to me that the range of all the weapons except the snipe on the pulse rifle is sooooo short. It's almost like i could get out and throw a stone the same distance.
 Is there a gameplay reason for this? I cant think of any other reason. The graphics can handle a plasma bolt going further, the physics are mostly less than earth gravity so there is no reason there. Why do we have to dogfight in such close quarters all the time.
 It would be nice to see what games were like if the projectiles could even travel at present day velocity's and distances.
 Any thoughts?
 Knight.

Speedy

You can modify the ODF files to reach that effect. You'll essentially be creating a mod. But first, contact an experienced modder (not me lol) to learn how to not get bad assets. Then you can figure the rest out yourself with some time, it isn't real hard.

Tempest Storm

The upcoming EPIC MOD, with its extremely large maps and better scale along with all kinds of new stuff has WAY more realistic projectile distances and the like.

Giguana

For the real time strategy element of BZ2 to function properly, everything has to have a short range. Every aspect of BZ2's dogfighting has been finely tuned to fit into its RTS hybrid state.

Knight

yeah i guess you are right.
Is there a site for the EPIC mod. I'd like to see some screens.
 Knight.

Tempest Storm

EPIC has an image gallery and a public forum at www.bz2md.com :)

~TS~ -- Pimpin' MODs since Jan, 02.

technoid

Gamedesign of most games, including BZII, are dependent on PC power.  This game, and BZ1, were made on PC's of the pre-PentiumIII and early PentiumIII era. This includes other factors, such as memory bandwidth and graphics of the time.  Large gameworlds using far-reach ordnance could have been possible, but could have been limited to those hardware and software.  Howitzer-type units would be the closest thing to what you are referring to. And additionally, this engine was based on earlier engines, such as Interstate'76 and subsequently, BZ, where the combat design was  based on "close-combat" battles. Now with better understanding of the game code, as well as the evolutionary progress of computer hardware, game modifications such as those aforementioned, will certainly take advantage of the modding power of this game, which already took advantage of large worldmapping in the first place.

My 2 cents.

DarkFox

If weapon range were increased in bz2, strategy would be ruined. It's there for strategic balance, and it's just right as-is IMO.

Slaor

Only if you increase weapon ranges beyond what can be actually seen...

Stock BZ2 speeds and ranges are such because the game is designed to work at about 400 metres visibility range, I'm guessing mainly to limit resource usage - there's not much point having weapons that range out much beyond that, AI might be able to use them but player can't. Mechwarrior eg: has visibility of a few km and BIG units that can be seen at that range so PPC's at 1800 metres are relevent.

When you take visibility to eg: 4km, weapon ranges can increase accordingly, but in order to make it balanced and fun you also have to increase unit speeds and scales etc.

Knight

I guess you are right guys about the balance. it just seems excessivly close at times. Misiles, plasma and lasers just petering out after what seems like only  a stones throws distance.
 The screen shots on EIPIC look great with the long view distance. it will be itneresting to see how it effects game design.
 Knight.

Slaor

"The screen shots on EIPIC look great with the long view distance. it will be itneresting to see how it effects game design."

Well you can have proper airforce for starters...

Phaser

Ya i think miniguns is only 100 meter now wich bother me a bit, but well we complain we cant run fast enuff to escape but want longer range weapon!?!?!? LOL

Just need some adjustment in my game play to get used to it i guess.

DarkFox

miniguns always have had 100m range, they can edge-kill at about 110m, as usual

OvermindDL1

Just for note, the reason I think the visibility ranges are so short is because BZ2 still performs its TnL calculations on the CPU and there is a limit to how many can be processed in one frame.  Just go into a map, set its visibility to 1000m (I have done this before) and drive around, mountains will disappear then reappear, whole buildings will vanish then come back, anytime the hardcoded poly limit is exceeded.  That is my theory.

Phaser

That strange cause i seem to not be abble to hit anything with miniguns over 99 meter, assault tank or pools wich i noticed that with. While like you said i use to hit at 110 metter.

What you mean by edge kill? Is there a way to shoot further? Cause i never had to do anything special.