• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

(Medium Suggestion) Shields and Snipers

Started by APCs r evil, April 29, 2004, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

...might be a cool idea.

Deflection sheild renders you unsnipeable by ISDF guns...

Stasis renders you unsipeable by Hadean guns

Absorbtion renders you unsnipeable by Scion guns....

On another note to do with the graphics, is their away to make it so that if the number of hits a sheild experiences goes above a certain level, then the shield halves the number of 'textures' it has going around it...and doubles their intensity to compensate.

Doable? Might helpe with graphical lag cause by close combat with sheilded scion craft with fast firing weapons.

Spawn

...the odd thing about sheilds is that they dont change mdm motar damage at all, and some hadean weapons do most damage to absorbsion, some damage to deflection, and the least to stasis, stupid programmers making things hard to understand...
if anyone wants, i could write a little toutorial so they could look at odf's and find out damage, unless thats already here.  Its really quite simple, especially with battlenest

EDIT:  on topic now, i dont see how the sheilds can stop sniper shells, when deflection slows things down (my view, cuse it doesnt matter where they hit you with boimetal after the fact, except for sniper...), absorbtion spreads out energy damage, so each part is less affected (so the biometal wouldnt need to fill in one big hole, but many tiny ones), and stasis slows everything down a bit, and tries to spread it out, but it uses the same energy, so it does a little less of each (but that doesnt explain the odd hadean weapons...).  

Just my 2 cents on this

DarkFox

Quotehadean weapons do most damage to absorbsion, some damage to deflection, and the least to stasis
This is put in simply to add to the strategy of haden vs scion matches. Stasis shields tend to be very effective against hadean teams, so weapons like dragonblast were made to be a counter to them. The more counters and counter-counters, the more strategic the game.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

The idea is that hadeans like to 'combine' things in a sort of harmonious balence. As a result many of their weapons have energy properties *and* kinetic properties. As a result the ones that are 'mostly energy partially kinatetic' rip though deflection sheilds (not as fast as laser mind)...and the ones that are mostly kinetic and partially energy (e.g. shell) can rip though absorbtion sheilds, but are not as weak as lets say chain, which is totally kinetic, against deflection sheilds.

As a result stasis is by far the best option against hadean forces, as i have said since the begining when i joined the rev.c board ages ago.

Quote from: Jwk the Hemp MonkeyOn another note to do with the graphics, is their away to make it so that if the number of hits a sheild experiences goes above a certain level, then the shield halves the number of 'textures' it has going around it...and doubles their intensity to compensate.

Doable? Might helpe with graphical lag cause by close combat with sheilded scion craft with fast firing weapons.

This is true with any texture saturation, and has been brought to Ken's attention:

The Plasma Stream is one such weapon.   At close range (which is pretty much the only way to use it) it’ll fill the screen when it hits the target, saturating a good chunk of your view and taking framerates to single digits.  The Scion Shield effect will also do this if hit hard enough, and pity the poor player using a Plasma Stream against a shield….    
Ah yes, that would cause some trouble.  Hmm.  I'd have to figure out how to "combine" the particle effects.  I can definitely see how it would cause a problem, though.

-Av-

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

plasma stream can be modified and tweaked to have fewer and brighter textures.

But the sheild's would need a more complex solution.

Perhaps we should re-make the way sheilds interact with weapons. Mabey the sheilds can make a Single very well defined texture that increases with the amount of damage done to it per second...meaning big shot weapons woudl have a different affect to 100s/hits a second weapons....but neither of them woudl affect the game lag.

OvermindDL1

I've never had the plasma stream slow me down... I wonder why it would get so slow...

Heh, just remembered, bz2 still does TnL on the cpu, the CPU's FPU is not as fast as a vid card and it has to be done by a program rather then simultaneously, I guess that could do it, if it is absolutely flooded, but I've never had a slow down just from that.

Spawn

whenever i use plasma stream i always go into 3rd person mode, lets me not lag to hell and i can see when someone tries to sneak up on me

PhoeniX-FlamE

FoxBlade

I guess it has to do with your hardware specs, on my 733 I get slowdowns but no real lag. OM im guessing your using something 2.5+ so of course your cpu could handle it well.

Dirty Rooster

Plasmastream only slowed my FPS when particles were on high.
For online play I always set particles LOW and screen Res 600 or 800.
I have Athlon1800.

With particles LOW the scion shield effects and all other explosions
have very little effect on my FPS online.
With particles on HIGH the game might run fine until lots of
guns start lighting up the place, at which time FPS drops and
the ensuing lag gives the whole game hassle.
In single-player I dont mind setting stuff high to enjoy to pictures.

Spawn

heh, i always lag, but that could be because i have everything set to max...

PhoeniX-FlamE

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

Quoteheh, i always lag, but that could be because i have everything set to max...

Yeah well show some respect to the server and other players by having the settings on a lower setting. BZII is not like other games, your low framerate = worser gameplay for everyone.

PhoeniX-FlamE

ya, i hate when server is dumb enough to have high gfx... my fps drops to 10