• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

(Medium Suggestion) F11 and F12 in MPI/strat with *no* icons

Started by wug, May 10, 2004, 08:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wug

Call me a silly whippersnapper, but I've got an idea.  One of the major hurdles with adding F11 and F12 keys is the GUI.  Well, why not add them *without* the need for the icons?

I'd like to see F11 and F12 used for a 5th and 6th player, where the most important function is to pass vehicles to those players.  I don't need to *see* an icon to do that.  In single player/IA, not having F11 and F12 isn't a big deal, IMHO.

Using something like Teamspeak, the extra "functionality" that the icon would add isn't really required.  If people have problems with invisible icons, then make it a poweruser option or something.

What do you guys think? :D

FoxBlade

if you mean no icon, as in not displayed at ALL, then It can be done, although it would rewuire quite alot of extra coding that im sure wouldnt would be unwelcome.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

I have always thought, is it possiable to have the F11 and F12 (player icons) *down the side* of the screen....instead of along the top.

Aegeis

Well the dev's arent likely to change up the menu system in this game.  Besides others have dealt without the F11/F12 keys for years, it'll be ok.  Let the dev's do their thing.

JWK added this part to my post:  If they make comments like '' Vets (spit) '' then how can i be expected to respect them? Quite frankly, who the hell do they think they are?

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

EDIT : well how do you want me to phrase it then?. Typing '' Devs(spit) '' is just as bad as GSH typing '' Vets(spit) ''. You want to express how (imo quite rightly ) pissed off you are, fine...but do it politly .

It would be good to have more F keys for AI units.....

Anyway, i have F11 so that it selects all the combatants, and F12 so that it selects everyone. TV made the code.

Tis great for painting :)

FoxBlade

if groups of more then 10 were normally possible with the F groupings then we wouldnt really need more groups...... Ive done groupings of more then 10 but I would assume every time that happened it was a group combination bug of some sort. or via use of the editor.

a key to select all your human teamates is a great idea for painting. shouldnt be too hard of a bind.

The only thing I would like to see prevented is double f-key association, where a human player joins and you have an AI and a human on the same F slot.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

I was thinking the F11 and F12 would be human only slots. And only in 4 v 4 would you have to sacrifice F10 for a human.

pharoh

possible-yes
practical-no
popular-doubt it
phisical strain-alot

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

physical strain ey? lol?

Not prepared to get RSI by playing BZII? Paaahhhhh *points finger*

Heritic! Heritic!

HE DOES NOT BELIEVE

pharoh

wug

I was reading in an earlier thread that the 640x480 resolution was a big reason why F11 and F12 were missing.  Well, if F11 and F12 don't actually have a graphic, then screen resolution isn't a problem.

I think it'd be cool to play 6-on-6 strat or 6 player MPI.  Back in the "old days" of analog modems it might not have been feasible, but it shouldn't be a problem now on ADSL/cable.

Heck, with the poweruser on, 12 strat/6 MPI player lobby support is already there. :D

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

Not to mention how it would not be so much of a problem in a LAN game.

Fishbone

I dont think more then 5 players can be on one team.
its the way teams are set up:
team0 : inert
team1-5: first strat team
team 6-10: second strat team
team 11-15: third strat team (not used in current dlls)

wug

All I have to say is... d'oh!!! :oops:

Did I say six players?  Five... five sounds good.

PhoeniX-FlamE

F12 is to pick all team...
F11 pick all team exept F10 (if ur not cmdr and u wanna tell thugs to attack something..)

it is very annoying for the cmdr to have to pass units to thugs to keep.... but i guess it also makes you think more strateigcaly...

and as said before, let me clear it up abit
u cant have 6 players on 1 team... on the game lobby they will be "invisable" means they dont got a team... if they try to join they will get kicked...

and i think because the game is quite old they thought some people dont have f11 and f12 keyboards yet...