• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

(Medium bugs) APCs and bombers

Started by Jwk the Hemp Monkey, July 07, 2004, 09:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

Firstly, the odfs should be changed so that the 'deploy' sounds that are now expressed should be changed so that they are linked to files that dont exist, but should a modder want to make something of them he/she would have the option.

Also, APC hulls 'phase' though eachother. They should be bumping.

Commando

The phasing bug applies to all units.  Even sabres will phase through others if they are close enough to each other.  This is due to the collision code, which won't get touched.  GSH said he wouldn't touch it before the release of 1.3, and he definately won't touch it now.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

is there no work around for the APC's? give them an AI that realy doesnot like to get too close to another APC? give them a weapon that 'pushes' other things around them away?

I'd like to see biometal exert a repulsive effect on all other biometal, with the strength of the push in line with the mass of the biometal.

In effect, I want every unit to act like an MCurtain when it comes to other units, with big units having a huge push, and small units not so much.  

That would mean ordnance would be unaffected, of course, wth the push just affecting objects that get close to each other.  That could help or remove the constant collision problems BZ2 units seem to have with darn near everything.

-Av-

Angstromicus

If I am not mistaken, the scion's home planet was made of biometal, right? If that was the case, or mostly so, the planet would repel everything, and maybe even tear itself apart. At least technically, tho the gravity of teh terrain can't be changed.

OvermindDL1

As I recall it was not made of Biometal, it had thousands upon thousands of biometal structures (were they actually biometal, I do not recall it saying) however.

technoid

APCs r evil

Naw, it wasn't green, it was dark blue.

technoid

That's what green cheese looks like in the dark (i.e. as on the Dark Planet).

Spawn

no, its not made of cheese, thats stupid.  its obviously made of...plannet material...yes, plannet material, but cold :lol:

While not perfect as far as entire biometal planets go it would resolve a lot of pathing issues for the small stuff...

If it helps, I'd think of planetary biometal masses as one large, single chunk, slightly reducing the gravitational effect of the mass on other biometal objects.  I'm not talking a strong enough field to completely counter gravity, just a little push to other biometal.  In fact, connected pieces could all contribute to a single repulsive field, not individual fields that would cause them to tear themselves apart.  That way a GT would have no internal stresses, just one gentle 'get the hell away from me' field that helps errant Scavs find their way AROUND the GT, rather than through it...

Just a thought, and IMHO not entirely out of line with biometal physics.  (For instance it would explain why other biometal objects are pushed out of the way during construction...)

-Av-

Spawn

what if the repulsory effecy isnt linear but exponential so it levels off once there is a sufficent mass?

and the repulsory effect could be like water and surfacce tension, so the effect inside is balanced, but on edges it isnt, so repulsory effect.

and what did this exactly did this have to do with apcs anyway?

JWK said "Also, APC hulls 'phase' though eachother. They should be bumping."  With the repulsive effect they'd fan out into a formation rather than all 'nest' inside each other as they did in 1.0.  That was one of the original complaints at the top of the thread.

It's also one of the first negative comments I ever read about Battlezone.  One of the game sites reviewed it and watching a Scavenger 'phase through' a GT was enough to sour him on the game.  I have to admit it's been overly-plauged with vehicles hitting buildings, and making things bump through each other might have been a quick fix, but not a good one.

-Av-

Spawn

could apcs be made like buildings so if they try to land on each other then they just form a huge tower?  or just slide out of the way?