• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

(medium bug) Rec deploying

Started by Spawn, July 26, 2004, 12:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spawn

ok, this is in both 1.2 and 1.3, basicially it lets you (without doing anything to files and whatever) deploy the recycler onto any relatively flat ground, even if you normally couldnt buile there.  Not reallt a big bug, probablly designed in to make deploying recyc at start easier and faster, but can be annoying/exploited (deploying over pool so pool is in recyc).  The terrain deforms to fit the recycler and becomes flat, but goes back if recyc dies.  it isnt really big, but it does allow oddly placed baces.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

(btw, call label the topic (medium bug) Rec deploying)

That explains a ruined game i once had, the recycler just deployed over the base pool (it was ment to just deploy 'next' to it) and i could not get the pool, evne if i manually placed the scavenger.

Angstromicus

It could potentailly cause an acess violation (done it before, gave me acess violations).

Commando

The access violation caused by doing that should be fixed.  One of them anyways, if there are more than one.  Try it in 1.3, and see if you still get an AV.  I would rate this as a Medium to High because it can be used as an exploit in multiworld.  It won't have any real benefits in human vs. human strats, but it can be exploited in MPI.  I wouldn't doubt that deforming the ground by using this trick would cause resyncs.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

All buildings deform the ground.

Spawn

and this does that tenfold :D
it never aved when i did this, but it had odd errors (phantom building)
did it in 1.2 and 1.3, no avs, but i dont do it much.

OvermindDL1

Correction, a building will only deform the ground if it owns terrain...

Commando

That is true, but intentianally deploying a recycler then aborting multiple times in order to drastically deform the terrain, such as removing hills or creating 90 degree hills is a bad thing.  I could show you what I mean if you want.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

this technique could be used to distort the terrain of the base area beyond the orginal intentions of the map creator, and thus give one team a large advantage. Esp if the map is designed to make base building a difficult endevour. not tomention over doing it could result in broken terrain.

Spawn

but doing that to make a bigger base could take a very long time, by that time you would be far behind the other team, unless they did the same thing

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

thats not the point, its going against what the map maker wanted, and if a map maker spends lots of time trying to balence a map and make it even....then the last thing he wants is for someont to go change terrain drastically

Angstromicus

The only instance this would be really useful if you had a recyclear, and started with sonic wave available before the recyclear was deployed.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

Commando

Jwk is right about it allowing a player to modify the terrain to go against what the designer had in mind.  I won't go into details on how to do it, but I will say that nothing is required to push the recycler.  I personally don't see this bug helping a team that much, because it basically makes it so the team can't build anything until the recycler is deployed.  Sure the team now has a larger area to build in, but the opposing team could use this time to capture all of the pools outside of the base to starve the team exploiting this bug.  Either way, it doesn't help the exploiter that much unless the exploiter starts with two scavs.  Even then, the exploiter can't build health if his/her team mates get damaged.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

And it ruins a game when you accidently fully deploy the recycler on the base pool.