• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

*Struck with an editor idea*

Started by sabrebattletank, August 16, 2004, 04:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabrebattletank

How about instead of the editor being a seperate program, just make t accessable only from the shell ecreen? so you hop in the editor, make your map changes, then hop back to the shell, click the file option, and load your map? that way (as far as I can tell) you cant be in the editor during multiplayer. If this has already been discussed than say so and Ill forget all about it.

Tempest Storm

The whole point of seperating the editor from the game in the first place was because of constant taunting to Nathan that as long as the editor was in BZ2 people would finda way to use it in MP, so he made it impossible to do so completely. Putting it back into the game like it used to be wouldn't change much.

I don't see why people have to gripe so much about the editor being seperate, its the same damn thing...and it works just as well. The only major drawback is the inability to use DLLs in the editor, but its such a simple fix it will almost definately be in the final version/public beta 2/whatever.

Angstromicus

Quote from: Tempest StormThe whole point of seperating the editor from the game in the first place was because of constant taunting to Nathan that as long as the editor was in BZ2 people would finda way to use it in MP, so he made it impossible to do so completely. Putting it back into the game like it used to be wouldn't change much.

I don't see why people have to gripe so much about the editor being seperate, its the same damn thing...and it works just as well. The only major drawback is the inability to use DLLs in the editor, but its such a simple fix it will almost definately be in the final version/public beta 2/whatever.

That's probably why people have been griping about it, plus, they're mad that Nathan laid the smack on them :D.

Tempest Storm

"but its such a simple fix it will almost definately be in the final version/public beta 2/whatever."

Thats been said since the griping started, and nobody cared, they just kept on. If you're that dissapointed about not being able to give yourself a headstart in IA, then go back to the 1.2, you can test DLLs fine without the editor.

Not that its a good thing it can't be used in the 1.3 editor's current state, its not a big deal at all.

Commando

Personally I would love to see two seperate bz2 exes.  One for single player which includes the editor, and one for multiplayer, which has no editor code.  This would help with mods like FE and it would make testing dlls possible in the editor.  Unfortunately this route probably won't be taken.

Tempest Storm

Personally Commando, I liked the editor the way it was, when they first seperated it. They should have just cleaned it up from there rather than simply loading the editor right away.

stinky

I actually really like commando's idea for 2 exes. It would add extra modding control in single player and instant action. Yet still retaining the separation of multiplayer code and editor code.

Simply going back to 1.2 to test with DLLs isn't that simple, especially if you are building a mod for 1.3 and you want to test how the AI pilot the new ships and use the new weapons you made. There is a marked difference between 1.2 and 1.3 AI.....currently to test new mod ships in a 1.3 mission is to give it an ODF file name that replaces one of the stock ODFs.....not overly convenient in my opinion.

*Just a further note, in campaign, editor mode is the most fun way to cheat!!!*

Tempest Storm

I think thats a bad idea. I'd find it rather annoying to to have to open and close two different EXE files whenever I wanted to play a MP game or an IA game.

When the editor was originally cut, it was just BZ2 with no net code whatsoever...I think this would probably be the best way to do it.

Nielk1

Why no make a program with everything but the multiplayer for testing/edditing singleplayer mods and another program with everything but the editor for normal everyday use?

If it's a time consuming process that's a good whay not!

Edit:  OOps, mised your last 2 lines Temp,

Click on the image...

Tempest Storm

Thats exactly what my above post describes. ;)

sabrebattletank

no what i suggestin is like the editor in rise of nations, age of mythology, and age of empires 2. the editor would only be accessible from a button at the shell screen. so next to multiplayer it would have an editor button

BZZERKER

The problem with that is the MP code would still be in the same .exe as the editor therefore allowing some radical idiots the ability to MP edit. Not a good idea. The editor is not nearly castrated as you ppl believe. Yes it has some problems but, I believe they will be taken care of in due time.