• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

multiplayer after 2 years

Started by Radar, August 26, 2004, 11:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar

Thank you again.

I tried hosting a game but nobody joined. :?
I understand I need to open ports 17770 - 17772, how do I do that? This is probably computer 101 for you but new for me. I have not been able to play a complete game from start to finish. I either get disconnected or the game freezes. I am hoping hosting will be the solution ... or at least a start.

PhoeniX-FlamE

hmm ive been not following from start, and dont got that much time to read all this topic again...
so if you have mentioned this already - my bad..

do you have a rotuer? if yes, what company?
also, do you have any other firewall maybe? a softwere one? maybe the one built in xp is enabled?

Radar

Quote from: PhoeniX-FlamEhmm ive been not following from start, and dont got that much time to read all this topic again...
so if you have mentioned this already - my bad..

do you have a rotuer? if yes, what company?
also, do you have any other firewall maybe? a softwere one? maybe the one built in xp is enabled?

Yes, I have a D-Link router (DI-604) and D-Link cable modem. I also have ZoneAlarm  pro4 , but I disable that before I play; and I disable my antivirus. I am running Windows ME ( I know it sucks ) and I don't think there is a built in firewall. Someone suggested the distance of the host may be a factor, is there any truth to that?

Thanks

PhoeniX-FlamE

aha, D-link - my router, shouldnt be too hard...

go to your control panel (either from my computer or somewhere at the start menu) I'm not sure how its called there, I have only used XP for about 2 / 3 years now so I forgot...

anyways, you need to get to your adapter settings (once you found it, right click and go to proprties) in there you should have a box with few stuff in it and Internet protocol (TCP/IP) double click it
and you should see some numbers - it should be something like this:
192.168.0.x (x = a number between 2 and 34 or something like that, but it doesnt realy metter)

rememebr the last digit(s)
now open up your browser and write this adress: 192.168.0.1
in there click login (default username and password are admin//admin)

now on the left side click Configuration
and then on Port Redirection

now fill in:
Select index to set: Not selected (leave it as it is)
State: enabled
Protocol: TCP
Internet: well-known port (I dont think it metters)
Start port: 17770
End port: 17773 (did I miss a number again?)
Local IP adress: 192.168.0.x (the last digit in the Internet protocol (TCP/IP) settings
now click add

repeat but change the protocol to UDP

I think I covered it all, if i forgot something - sorry and maybe someone else will fix it

Radar

Thank you for getting back to me.
From control panel to network is where I can Access TCP/IP There I have no numbers. Selected is obtain an IP address automatically.

At the D-Link setting web site I have to go to Advanced tab the Firewall on the left to see what you are talking about. The protocal is TCP but the rest of the boxes are different from what you are saying.

I have action allow( )  deny( ) ... I assume check allow
I have source and destination, IP range start and IP range end
I have port range ... this must be where I enter 17770 - 17773
I have schedule ... don't know about this, when I play?
There is no local IP address option.

any comments?

Red Devil

Good way to identify router problems is to bypass router.  Just plug in IP address of your PC. Da, is good, no?
What box???

*GEL*Victorius[gm]

I'm not sure how it's called in english but open the windows start window---> click on execute(I think it's called this way)--> type cmd---> it should open a dos window for you ---> type ipconfig---> you will see your local ip adress( this means the ip adress of that computer in your lan)

I got a different router but maybe it's also in the D-Link routers: DMZ demilitarized zone, it just shuts down the firewall in your router for a certain pc enter the ip adress of your computer here and it won't be behind your fw anymore (like someone is going to hack you while your playing bz2  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  hacking is so exagerated  :lol:  :lol: )

Hacking is, worms aren't...  be careful putting yourself in the DMZ unless you have the absolute latest security patches to reduce worm vulnerability.

Otherwise you're just asking for trouble...

:(

-Av-

PhoeniX-FlamE

thats odd, I was sure all D-link router menus work the same...

besides that, I didnt remember ME to have an automatic IP for adapters..

any chance you can post a screenie of how the D-link router menu looks like?

DMZ open all your ports like avatr mentioned - its the easy wat out, but i wont suggest doing that...

*GEL*Victorius[gm]

I've been on dmz for about 2 years, I mostly turn my zonealarm off when i start playing some game... haven't had a virus or worm yet, just have a decent virus scanner and have that proggie that let's you download windows updates instantly+ uses some alternative browser like firefox(though i'm not using it that long) and some progs to remove spyware you just have to be carefull what you download

MowerMan

I almost constantly get hack attempts on my computer.  One guy even masked his IP to be local to my own LAN (I always trace them back).

I do piss a lot of people off though (he he he I'm such a rascal)

Radar

I think I may gotten off track.

That's what's great about computers. You learn about everything else even if it doesn't pertain to the original problem.

My ultimate goal is to play a mutiplayer game start to finish without getting kicked.

My solution was to host a game ... I don't know if I am right. In my most recent game, I asked the other players why everyone was getting lag when I entered a game. One player told me I had no Winsock. I exited the game, did a search and found I did have winsock.dll . I also went to Google to ask about winsock in windows ME. Found a program that uninstalled and installed winsock. I then went to play but found out I still had lag.

So lets get back to hosting. Am I right in thinking that if I host I will get less lag. I know at least I should be able to play a game start to finish. For those of you that responded to my last questions about hosting....
1. I do not want to take the easy way out and bypass the router or reduce the firewall in DMZ.
2. I do know how to take a pic of the DMZ page.
3. Is there a place I can go other than gamespy to find a host?

Help please. I am frustrated.

Red Devil

The reason you want to bypass your router is to see if your router is bad.  The idea is to keep eliminating possibilities until you arrive at root cause.
What box???

Radar

:-D  success

I bypassed my router and that was the problem. :D

Now I just have ZoneAlarm as a firewall (which I do not have to shut down when I play ). Is there a way I can still use my D-Link router and play :?

Aegeis

Does your router have a function called port forwarding or port triggering?