• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

multiplayer after 2 years

Started by Radar, August 26, 2004, 11:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar

Hello,

I have not played BZ2 online for 2 years. Things have changed since then and I am frustrated. Last time I played I had a 56k modem and my pings were too high to play with the cable modem users. Now I have a cable modem (finally) but I am running into a whole bunch of new problems. Every once in awhile I can join a multiplayer game but my choices are far an few between. There seems to be conflicting versions. When I get into a game, hosts have to kick me due to high pings or other wierd game problems. All I want to do is have some fun. (S. Crow)

I have been to BZUniverse but I can't seem to find an answer to my problems. I am familiar with 1.3 beta , G66 V19 build, and G66 maps. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times with different versions but still cannont get into a game. Natty was kind enough to email me back recomending...
   1. clean install of BZ2
   2. 1.3 beta install
   3. Forgotten Enemies MOD install ( which, is my favorite )

I tried this (minus the MOD install) and still can only get into 1 out of 20 games. Games that have a (V) in the Pwd column are the ones I can't get in. I need help to play.

What does a (V) in the Pwd column mean? How can I get access to thoses multiplayer games? ( I'm not talking about the password protected games or the full games) Is it my firewall? I shut down ZoneAlarm and my Virus scan before I play. I have a Dlink cable modem and a Dlink router. Why am I able to join some multiplayer games?

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Two years ago, I used to hold my own and now I want to start again. I think Battlezone is one of, if not the best, game around.

Thank you in advance.

Rob

Tempest Storm

Games with a (V) nearby show that the host of that game is running a different version of the game than you.

The 1.3 patch is still in development, and because of this alot of people don't enjoy playing Multiplayer on it just yet. Likewise, alot of people are still playing the 1.2 patch.

If you want to find more games, I suggest you make a second install of BZ2 and install the 1.2 patch to that, from there you will find alot more MP games to play on.

PhoeniX-FlamE

depends when... euro mornings --> euro after noons are preaty dry ATM

IceWendigo

I share your pain, I often find there's a handful of games most with different versions/mods/maps, the one game with the same version/mod/map as me at any given time usually has a Password (P) or (X) to top it off.

[If and when 1.3 gets rock solid, it would be nice to have a BZ2 1.3 Distributed for Free to a Massive Audience, I dont care if "I" paid for my game while others wouldnt(I have had my moneys worth and more already) or if joe blo sells his on ebay, I just want new gamers in sufficent numbers and with the same freaking version to be able to play MP with no hassles) ]

Spacecomber

If you select those games with the V in front of them (don't try to enter, though), you can see some information about the game.  Below where it says what map is being run, you'll see what version of BattlezoneII is being played.  As mentioned, most will be v1.2.

As a general rule, most of the v1.3 games that you see will be multiplayer instant action, often Natty's latest G66 build, but also some regular MPI games.

Most of the v1.2 games will be Strat with some death match and MPI mixed in.

A few of the v1.2 strat games will be using the Forgotten Enemies mod, which you'll need to join those games.  Sometimes the MPI games that you see under v1.2 will also be Forgotten Enemies based.  And, Natty's earlier version of G66 for v1.2 is still popular among the folks who like to play MPI using v1.2.  I believe a few folks are still working on developing maps for this earlier version of G66.  

I emphasize that these are different versions of G66, since the current version only works under BZ2 v1.3 and the earlier version is for BZ2 v1.2, only.  Likewise, the Forgotten Enemies mod is only compatible with v1.2 at this time.  In fact, I think Natty's G66 is the only mod that can be run under v1.3.  (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that.  ;)  )

Fishbone

excellent summary, Space.
except for the part where you are wrong ;)

G66, FLS, BZRAP and DuneCommand are all 1.3 mods and all are in different stages of beta testing online (as far as I know).

EPIC is made for 1.3 but will most likely not be an online experience.
There are several other 1.3 mods in the works but they do not seem to be anywhere close to beta right now.

EDIT: there is currently one 1.2 mod in developement: ZTV

Radar

Thank you all :)
I am surprised to get such a quick response. I just joined BZCP last night with my 1st submission and got 5 replies this morning. Obviously this game still rocks. How ironic that I have to do the exact same install as I did 2 years ago.

First a clean BZ2 install
       Second 1.2 update

I went online to try and got right into a game with no lag. Thank you. I did notice that there were only 4 games avalible to join. If I remember right, I should install Forgotten Enemies, start the game in that shell and there should be more multiplayer games avaliable. That's my next move.

:P Thanks again for everyones help

Aegeis

Heh, the forgotten enemies mod isn't very popular with EVERYONE in the community.  You will find fewer games of FE than you will of 1.2.  However don't give up on FE, a few of us do play it regularly, especially tuesday nights, friday nights and all throughout the weekend.  You just have to catch us at the right time of course.  :-)

Spacecomber

I'm pretty sure that all the FE games will show up from within v1.2, you just won't be able to join them unless you have launched FE.  You should be able recognize which are the FE games from looking at the map name that is being played.  Sometimes you'll see something in the message window about FE as well.

Fishbone, I don't think I've seen any of the other v1.3 mods being tested online, yet.  It's good to know that their development is going on and that this is something else to look forward to.

This is getting off topic here, but if any of these other mods are entering public beta testing, I'd like to here about it, since I'd be happy to give them a try.

Radar

Okay,

I installed FE only to find out nobody has been playing most of the day today. There are more 1.2 games to join; however, a few times that I tried I was unable due to "no map" or "no mod". Does anyone know what maps and mods (other than FE) are compatible with 1.2.

Also, I tried to create a new game but nobody joined. Am I able to host?

Thanks again for your help.

SkyNET

Quote from: Radar
Also, I tried to create a new game but nobody joined. Am I able to host?

Anyone is able to host. Sometimes people just don't join. I once beat an MPI that took almost exactly 1 hour by myself.

Gummo.nz

You could try hosting a game called 'can anyone see my game?' and also type something into the server message to the effect that you are trying out hosting and don't know if your game is showing up.  People will be more likely to join just to let you know.  You could even leave your computer on and come back later and you will see if anyone had entered or not.

Spacecomber

Otherwise, picking up on Gummo's note, you may have to open some ports in your firewall or router.  There's a file called nettips.txt in your main BZ2 directory that gives some information on this.

King(NL)

I've also had problems in the past with hosting when I just got adsl.
I only had to open the ports  17770 and 17771 like the nettips.txt says. And it works  :-D . Because I can host games now. So this should also work for you.

Spacecomber

Actually, with v1.2 and newer, you'll need to add 17772 to your list of open ports (17770-17772, inclusive, TCP and UDP).