• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Slight pauses every 10 seconds or so

Started by OvermindDL1, December 10, 2004, 09:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

For note, the map of the screenshot above was very empty except for what was on screen... And it is not restricted to a specific map/dll type, it appears at random, should I get some testing done I can list off specific ones...

Bull Dog

!^%@$#!@%^!@#!@$!@#

Well anyhow I have not seen this same !@#!@$! problem crop up myself.  Ok I was playing multiple session of bz2 last night and I was having this awful occurance.  The timing seemed completely random.  Just to play this morning the Restarted my computer and then played a MPI (same map) and volia no more problem.  Not to say it won't crop up again.  I'll work on pinpointing the cuase as time goes on.  

But that leads me to a Important question.  OM how often do you restart you computer?  The randomness of maps you mentioned may have been related to the last time your computer was restarted.

I'm going to take not of all processes running at the time the next occurance (hopefully if) happens.  Then maybe we could compare notes.  Its would be a read pain to it I happened during a dogfight *shudder*.

Edit:

I almost forgot I last night I was playing with a couple of friends on TS (thanks RIP for the server).  And during the slow-ups which seemed to last about 5 seconds,  I could still talk to and hear them fine.   Which reminds me of something else, sometimes when the slow-up happened my framerate would only dip to maybe 15-25 FPS (off my V-sinc limited 85)

Edit 1 more time:

I looked at OM's pictures again, sheesh how do you get off with only  :shock: 4 :shock:  sound channels?

PhoeniX-FlamE

its sound like what I get if I dont reboot or accidently leave spyware doc on when I play... its just overload on the comp or w/e, either defrag and see if it does that, or close background problems (after a reboot) and see if that fixes it...

OvermindDL1

Actually I have 64 sound channels, but I had just rebuilt my computer and it was running the motherboard sound, I had not yet put in my Audigy.  Do not worry, I have it in now, couldn't stand to be without it. :D

Bull Dog

OM could you tell me

1. Which software firewall you are using
2. What anti-virus program you are running.

Thanks this slow-up bug seems to be not just BZ2 related,  I saw it in Halo last night.  GRRRRR. Got me killed more than once.   Not to mention the fact that Halo is simply not my type of game for Multiplayer.

Zero Angel

When playing, hit ctrl-alt-del and bring up the task manager. Then click on the 'processes' tab, and click on the title of the 'processor usage' column and watch it for awhile. Some processes might jump to the top of the list suddenly and then back down to 0% usage. That might be your culprit.

I myself have had similar problems with Winamp.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

OvermindDL1

Does not happen anywhere else except BZ2, and only on some maps.  Hardware Firewall, not software.  AntiVirus is Norton, but generally disable it before games.  Only time computer is turned off is when I reboot to switch to a different OS on another drive.  Process Usage generally tops out at 2%, generally sits at 0%, and that is when I am listening to music in WMP10.

CmptrWz

Just realized I used to see this type of thing, but only when I played music in the background.

Using winamp, I would get the pauses, but only if I neglected to minimize it before launching the game. Winamp was still trying to update its screen in the background, causing a slight pause every so often.

OvermindDL1

I close anything that could use CPU before BZ2, not that I'd need to, I get a few hundred fps without VSync on.

technoid

What network protocols do you have installed? Those can also be a source of hiccups due to polling conflicts or incorrect protocol drivers, though I don't think that should happen on current OSes.

OvermindDL1

It shouldn't matter, especially since no people are usually in the game.

TCP/IP on one nic, TCP/IP and NFS on another.

Bull Dog

Well for right now I seem to have found a "fix" for my problem.  Giving bz2 or any other game that exhibits this problem Above normal priority in the processes tab seems to make this problem disappear.

Bull Dog

The Guilty verdict......

Outpost Firewall.

Of course I havn't proven it yet, but I just got out of Utk24, I had the TaskMgr open, and I saw it consuming 98% of CPU resources.  

More testing with it closed to see it that will fix the problem.

Then I will pass sentence, delete or not.

Bull Dog

The accused:  Agnitum Outpost Firewall.
Proof:  No more slow-ups when this program is off.
The verdict: Guilty of excessive CPU usage at the wrong times.
The sentence: Henceforth this program will be forever banished from my computer.

Ahh peace again.

PhoeniX-FlamE

hehe, a great progarm for monitiring stuff and see whats working hidenly in the background: security task manager

damn great program, no more wormz or viruses running hiddenly in the background - you can get a free version off downloads.com