• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Corrupted saves on isdf08; also, odd bug with savegame names

Started by ToxicFrog, February 22, 2005, 10:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToxicFrog

Addressing the naming bug first...
The first savegame I made was named 'sniper'. Any subsequent saves work fine; however, I go to overwrite a save, its name mysteriously changes into 'sniper' as well (although the filename remains the same).

And now, the infamous isdf08 savegame crash bug, AGAIN.

In short: any saves on isdf08 are corrupt. Attempts to load them from in game result in a segfault; attempts to load from the main menu cause the game to livelock and write an infinitely long log file.
Now, I have searched, and this problem has cropped up a few times in the past, but I've never actually seen an answer - what causes this? Is there a workaround, or will I have to just complete isdf08 without saving? And are there any other missions (in the stock singleplayer) that exhibit this same bug?

The Master of Disaster

I have had the naming bug happen a few times before, I worked around it by rewriting the name every time I saved.  As for the other (more important) bug I have no idea.

ToxicFrog

Well, I'm on isdf10 now and so far 08's still the only one with corrupted saves.
On the other hand, the scripting on 10 is distressingly easy to break.

Spawn

Bull Dog

Just do exactly as your told and everything will be fine.  Fub up and the game will make you pay in the worst way possiable.

ToxicFrog

@Bull Dog: I did.
The problem is, I took a hard right immediately after leaving the cave rather than traveling on the lowlands (can you blame me? I was in a scout and there were four Warriors inbound!), so I never got the message from Shabayev telling me where the Black Dog transmitter was, so Braddock refused to believe me when I destroyed it. game.cheat bzwinner to the rescue!
And now on isdf11, the entire Scion army attacks me even if I do destroy the dropship. I'm seriously thinking that reverting to 1.2 would be a good idea here; 1.3 seems to have broken a lot of the singleplayer stuff.

Spawn

destroy what dropship?
the bd transmitter in in a building somewhere, you can hear it.
in the ambassator mission (where the scion gets shot down) you should be attacked, run away!!

Bull Dog

I'm sorry Toxic.  My post wasn't aimed at anything in particular.  I was just being a little humorous (I think).

ToxicFrog

I know, I know. :)

@spawn: I was talking about different missions.
In isdf10: I found, and destroyed, the Black Dog transmitter. That wasn't the hard bit. The problem was that since I destroyed it _before_ getting told by Shabayev where it was, I never got credited for destroying it and the mission was uncompletable.
In isdf11 - the one where you need to guide the Recycler around the thin ice - you're meant to destroy your crashed dropship with a satchel charge to prevent the Scion forces from tracking you down. This worked in 1.2, but in 1.3 I'm attacked by a huge Scion force - four Warriors, at least four Sentries and Lancers, and 7+ Scouts - shortly after meeting the recycler...and it's just not possible to defend the recycler from that with just a tank, a scout, and a turret.
I haven't reached the ambassador mission yet in 1.3.

Spawn

that, bz2 has a tendency to do that as you should know.
on thin ice is hard for no reason in 1.3.  much harder then it should be really.

Bull Dog

The reason why you get attacked by that massive attack force is becuase, a function call IdleDispatch was introduced into the AIP files.  That made it so that all idle AI unit got told to attack you as soon as you set your recy down.  This has been fixed in later 1.3 versions.  But do note that I did manage to complete that mission without cheating.

BZZERKER

Yep, so did I.

The biggest thing is not to worry about planting scavs on pools right away, Have 1 on the pool right near the nav but have 2-3 grabbing loose and keep turning out turrets until things calm down. When they finally do calm down that mission get ridiculously easy.

ToxicFrog

@Bull Dog: they will attack even before I deploy my recycler, actually. And I take it that these later versions you refer to haven't yet been released? I certainly can't find them, if they have.
@BZERKER: I guess I'll just have to move faster, then. Usually they arrive before I can get more than one or two turrets built, and with four Warriors hosing it down the recycler dies FAST.

technoid

If you get the idledispatched mass attack again when you are maneuvering your Rec on the thin ice, try these little tactics...
- Break the ice with the rhinos as soon as possible... this can potentially help lower the driving speed on all enemy hover units due to the water.
- Pester all enemy units first so they chase you around, which keeps them away for your lone turret and thunderbolt partners.
- Another way to see what parts are terrain and what parts are thin ice is to switch to vector radar (the blue 3D revolving radar). You can clearly see the elevations on there easily.
- Satchel your downed dropship (which you've already done).
- Be a skilled fighter in your Sabre.
- Sniping might help if you're quick on the draw.
- Last, but not least... Hurry up!   :lol:

ToxicFrog

I always use vector radar unless I have a very good reason not to. I had no idea you could break the ice by luring the rhinos onto it, though!
The problem with these tactics, though, is that I don't get attacked on the ice except by the Warrior-Sentry pairs that usually show up, unless I'm moving slowly. The attack usually comes shortly after I reach nav 1 (depending on how fast I crossed the ice, anywhere from just before I reach it to shortly after I deploy the recycler).
So, it looks like I'll have to shave even more seconds off my time, or become an even better Sabre pilot...or both.
Or revert to 1.2.