• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Bindata folder= bad assests? :S

Started by Scout, March 25, 2005, 04:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

i was playing g66 with a little addon mod adding a bunch of little goodies, any how it would seem everyone joining the game needs to have their bindata in the same state, either both people with the folder full of msh files or both people with the bindata totally empty, Would anyone know the reasoning behind this :O

also my odfs specify xsi models, but if i only include a msh would it still work and not give me the aformentioned problem? tyia for any info.

Commando

You don't have to include the xsi as long as you include the msh.  THat is why the FE guys were able to release their mods without releasing most of the xsis too.  The game automatically creates a msh for a set of xsis, then forgets about the xsi.  After the msh is created, that is used by the engine, unless an xsi newer than msh is found (this date check was added during 1.3 development.)

I wonder why it would affect the assets check, though?  The engine should create the same MSH file regardless...    I'd think they'd have to have different XSI's for an assets problem to occur.

Strange...

-Av-

Spawn

depending on which odf calls for the mesh you could have a different mesh...
this is why you should always include meshes with your mod, you can include the xsi's too, but not just the xsi's...

OvermindDL1

Quote from: AvatarI wonder why it would affect the assets check, though?  The engine should create the same MSH file regardless...    I'd think they'd have to have different XSI's for an assets problem to occur.

Strange...

-Av-
You should see the msh generation code, it isn't pretty, and not at all suprising it can create different assets...

I have a weak stomache, don't show it to me...

:lol:

-Av-

Scout

Well i know Fe did release without xsi's and that other do it too, not suprising i guess people dont want others chop shopping or something.

you could have just said yes commando, but imsuprised you dont have an answer for the missing msh's causing assest problems.

i highly doubt the msh making code is making people "create different meshs" rather im betting 1.3 is compairing msh's with no msh's and drawing a assest's difference.

OvermindDL1

No, the msh generation code can and most likely does create different meshes.

CmptrWz

Proof in point:

I got different versions of NULL.msh across different installs of BZ2 at one point.

GreenHeart

Quote from: OvermindDL1No, the msh generation code can and most likely does create different meshes.

the Msh generation code does create different mesh files from the same xsi. it don't always happen however when it does you'll get bad assets.

it maybe best to clear out your bindata folder except for the NULL.msh file when using switching to a different mod. Mod Makers should never include the xsi files in their mod to avoid this issue. if you must include them please put the xsi's in a new folder or new pak file of their own that isn't going to be used by bz2.
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

OvermindDL1

Correct, it will not generate different meshes from a single xsi itself, but here are a few factors that will/may create a different msh from the same xsi, but using different odf settings or other things:

Capitilization in the odf
Naming
ODF naming
If it is not a leap year during a half to full moon on the year of the monkey when the day has a two in the greek language...

Spawn

and your karma, the more you steal the more the chicken will eat

Scout

Ok so time for packing up msh's with the odf's instead.

Thanks for the intel.