• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Multiple Mortar HP Targeting

Started by ScarleTomato, August 31, 2005, 04:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScarleTomato

I found a small glitch in the targeting. When something is targeted it measures the distance between the targeter and the target, and vectors the shots accordingly. This is not a problem on any other shotclass but the grenade where the distance between the objects and the distance the projectile travels differ.

I came about this because I had modified my guntower with plasma that fell, so mortarbikes couldn't hide behind hills. When the GT can't hit it strait, it points a higher arc to hit the target. (Very smart of them IMO)

If, however, the object is close to the GT but behind terrain, the vector accounts for about a 10 foot distance, where the projectile may travel 100 to 200 feet in a very high arc. This makes the shot go far off from where he intended to shoot. I know I could fix this by having the HPs in the middle but I wanted it to be pretty much the same as the old GT.

If its not too hard, could that be fixed in a later patch, or is it already?

It's not very important and easily worked around, so I don't really mind if it can't be fixed.

Spawn

APCs r evil

He turned a cannon into a mortar and a bullet into a grenade.

Spawn

ScarleTomato

Here's some updated pics in png format. the lung in the third pic is T2 BTW.

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

ScarleTomato

:P I actually got the idea from playing too many Clay Ridge FE games. (you can't stop 'til you win it, ya know?)
The ISDF mortar bikes kept hiding behind the cliffs.

By pure coincedence I made an aircraft gnat that goes almost the speed of the shots, its kinda cool to try and follow the arc they go. :-)

Anyways, does anyone know if theres a way around this? W/o closing the gap between the hps?

Nuthin?

General BlackDragon

its been 20 days, in order to do that id have to re read all that up there, and the picture no longer works for me ...ive totally forgotten...

*****General BlackDragon*****

General_Hoohah

I don't think this is a bug... this was done so howitzers could shoot over high obsticles, and hit a target within close proximity. (the archer)

There should however be two different classes, grenade and artillary. Grenades would arch higher, depending on how close the target is, while Artillary would not.

This would be a great thing to add in 1.3!
And remember, any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

APCs r evil

I can say with a good deal of certainty that this is not a bug. It is probably just a... wrinkle in the code. You see, when the Gun Tower targets something, it's cannons are turned to aim directly at the point representing how far away the target is, in relation to hp_com to hp_com. Now since the Gun Tower has to aim up, it's cannons are oriented to hit that representation of distance. But since the target is not actually there, the plasma balls will just pass through each other, and continue their on their trajectory till the hit something or their lifespan runs out.

General_Hoohah

Yeah, like for instance. If you put an enemy recycler at the top of a high cliff, and your archer at the bottom of the cliff, then the archer would be able to shoot from the bottom of the cliff all the way to the top and hit the recycler. If however you changed the code so it didn't arch so high, the archer would just hit the top corner of the cliff and miss the recycler.

So you see this isn't a bug, but I really do beleive that there should be a NEW class added! This would give us the ability to create new types of units, and offer more stratagies!
And remember, any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

Spawn

the atlas in fe doesnt aim up, look at how that works?

ScarleTomato

not quite what I;m trying to accomplish hoohah. the GT aims both ways, and I like that feature. Cause if it can't hit it one way it'll at least try to hit it another.

APC's has hit it on the head. It doesn't matter until you put more than one mortar on the unit. Cause then it aligns its trajectory along the distance instead of the shot travel.
Ill have to remake the pics, I dunno what happened to them...

EDIT: I remade some pics of it. I think its a cool thing if it worked :s