• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Minor Bug: Large Sprites mis-behaving.

Started by Angstromicus, October 17, 2005, 02:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angstromicus

Whenever I use huge sprites, and I get close to them, they slide off the screen (but this dosen't happen if I'm not close to them) (in weapons odf).

BTW, I'm back, but I don't have internet at home.

General BlackDragon

YAY ur back! :) *dances around*

are u using what kind of sprites? weapon sprites u say? what type of render is it? and is it in 1.2 or 1.3? Be more specific

*****General BlackDragon*****

Angstromicus

Draw_sprite is what I use. Any texture messes up whenever it's say 1000 meters in size. Dosen't matter if it renders in explosions or weapons blasts. Try it, in 1.3pb (I'm sure it would mess up in 1.2 anyway). Make a draw_sprite, startradius = 500 finishradius = 500, so that you can approach it. It'll begin to slide off the screen if you get too close.

General BlackDragon

i found that any panlar that is over 325 meters causes an av

*****General BlackDragon*****

Angstromicus

As far as I know, that depends on map size, and mayby visibility range. On a 256 grid map I was able to make sprites as big as 6000 meters, with an occasional AV. (Might be even more than that, I know I've tried as high as 10000, but I don't think that ever worked, it's been a while since I've looked at the ODF which makes it).
Reguardless, it's an error in 1.3pb, but it's a lot better than 1.2 as far as limits are concerned. I don't think sprites misbehaving has ever changed though.

Commando

The best you can do is zip up the assets and send them to a beta tester or GSH for investigation.  Unless GSH sees the issue himself, it might not even get considered.

GSH

If the bug appears in 1.2, then it'll usually be lower priority for me. There's some scary-nasty code in the graphics engine, and any change can cause a lot of other issues.

-- GSH

Angstromicus

Unfortunately, I still have no internet at home (it's been 8 weeks and 1 day). And I can only acess the internet at school. It'll be rather difficult to transfer assets, sorry. Soon, I hope, I'll get internet again.

[Render]
simulatebase = NULL
renderbase = "draw_sprite"
startcolor = "255 255 255 255"
finishcolor "255 255 255 255"
startradius = 1000 //shouldn't need to be this large, but it guarantees that the bug will be reproduced.
finishradius = 1000 //shouldn't need to be this large, but it guarantees that the bug will be reproduced.
spritecenter.x=0
spritecenter.y=0
lifetime = 100
animatetime = 100

(retrived from memory)
Just put that in a weapon /explosion, make the rendering happen on a map where visibilityrange is large enough to see the whole sprite, and get close to it. Similar effects can be achived by modifying sky sprites. Make them larger than 90 degrees, and they begin to stretch and distort.

Edit: As far as it being a bug in 1.2, I'll test it this afternoon, and post the results tomorrow.

In theory, a sprite that large in 1.2 may not be possible, considering most things that are "large" in 1.2 will end up AV'ing the game.

I'll probably need somebody else to reproduce the bug. (Blackdragon, still got that map I gave you, the 256 grid map?) I know he has a very large map (the very same one that I tested this bug on).

Angstromicus

In 1.2, sprites still misbehave. I didn't have a crash problem with it.