• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

New AIPs in IA and MPI

Started by wug, August 10, 2006, 07:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spawn

Turrets are generally smarter, or you can try telling your units to "hold", they will attack the nearest target on radar.

llulla

I haven't tried scouts, but Sabre-Warriors are pitiful when told to guard. They engage only after being hit, mostly. I am sure of this because, I always loose extractors to Maulers even with 3-4 Sabres around. Anyway, I will try to do some accurate eval of the distance of engagement under the circumstances.

Raven

3-4 sabres don't stand a chance against a squad of 2-3 maulers anyway, unless they are human that is

wug

Yeah, you'll need at least 2 Sabres per Mauler, AI vs. AI.  It's not the Sabre's inability to react quickly, it's just that Mauler usually come up to its target at full speed.  So the Sabre probably gets off one or two hits before the Mauler is on top of it.

But man, Maulers are so much fun to dogfight. :wink:

Raven

Hell yeah, alot harder now they have 360o turrets, lil sods :P

They can damage a rocket tank with one fang substantially, yet alone a docile sabre.

llulla

Well, it depends if tank is upgraded and how you use it. Upgraded Sabres with SP--STAB eat Maulers for breakfast at the ratio 3 tanks - 2 maulers IF you have ordered them to attack ( the "no mercy" line is really killing :-D).
The same is not true when on guard duty. The question is, why there is no reaction as soon as an enemy unit crosses the radar boundary? Is there any params that can be fiddled with in order to alter that?

Raven

I always get mixed up with what the "engageRange =" line actually does, it sounds like something along these lines.

llulla

Is there any chance to change the behaviour of 1.3 AIs back to 1.2 default by copying 1.2 ODFs? Is it possible or it is trouble?

Axeminister

Why would you want the ai to act like something you've beaten a thousand times? Also guarding a extractor with sabres isn't the way to go, with so  many maulers/assault tanks coming rocket tanks with hornet are better. Just don't move them there one at a time. heehee
There is no knowledge that is not power.

wug

Maybe try changing some of the server options and setting the AIP to "Easy".

Hey, it can't be that hard... it's just the stock MPI, not G66. :-o

squirrelof09

Quote from: llulla on September 06, 2006, 09:59:29 AM
Is there any chance to change the behaviour of 1.3 AIs back to 1.2 default by copying 1.2 ODFs? Is it possible or it is trouble?

Trouble.
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

llulla

Like this we shift to tactical talks instead of what is important, the technical talk of how to make " sleeping beauty" more aggressive. It used to be difficult to hold tanks not to react to everything that crossed their radar. This had its tactical drawbacks also, but I prefer that and I am asking if we could get it back.
Mind you, I DO NOT mean that ALL AI be back at 1.2 behavior, only the tank class if possible.

If we go talking TACTICS, you don't want to use heavy but slow units to defend Extractors far away across the map, especially where the enemy is closer.  There is no time to substitute the lost units and the scrap cost is very high since you will loose continuously some. Tanks are fast and furious, and, if upgraded, powerful enough to erase EVERYTHING, providing  the right number (6+). For me Sabre is the best of the best if we don't include the MODs into comparison.

BZZERKER

That's what chain rats are for. Mix them with hornet RT's and the maulers die quite nicely. ;)

Red Devil

I liked the way the turrets moved in BZ1, the leaning and their speed, so I made mine like that.
What box???

llulla

Hornet  upgraded RTs work well in maps with some big flat space. Locking onto target needs some time, minimal though, that lessens a lot the effectivness if maulers rush from a short distance. Personally, I find 1.3 Salvo devastating and the best solution at short range.
Have anyone noticed the disappearance of the Arches from radar when land in vertical or so surfaces? My AIs, standing only 2m close, react only when directly engaged but will let the Archer otherwise bomb freely. I noticed that I don't see them from the Relay Bunker but when I go to inspect visually they are normally visible???????