• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Fe on 1.3 beta 3?

Started by doh224, January 15, 2007, 05:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Devil

Got that taken care of, plus added the missing meshes for the SP missions.

I can't get EDFlogo.msh created even though it says its missing.  Might have something to do with the pic it's trying to use.
What box???

Axeminister

Well can Rapier and I download it from the same place, it says it was uploaded on the 20th, so it is still the same one there(or is it?). Where can we get the one you changed?
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Red Devil

There's a sticky now at the top of this board, but I'm going to upload a version with the dupes removed and the meshes added soon.
What box???

Red Devil

Currently, in FE, ships are sent to the various portal groups according to ship type so that ships of one type always attack your base from one direction, while others approach from another.

I simplified it and made it more generic by using the 1.3 functions, but I was thinking of making things less predictable by using randomization to assign each ship a portal group as it's built.

Thoughts?
What box???

Spawn

Could you set it up as an option?  The only thing that this may do badly is making it harder for newer players.

Also, do the ships from one group all split up and attack from different directions all at once, or do they come as waves all from one direction at a time?  For example, if 20 ships are spawned, do all 20 attack from the same random direction, or do they hit the base from everywhere at once?

Red Devil

The way it's set up in the original is that special portal using ships are built by the AIP's and then the DLL tells them which portal group to use depending on the type of ship it is, then each unit is told to hold once it's gone through the portal.

Once there's a certain number at that hold/rally point, they are dispatched to attack, so it depends on where the hold points are placed on the map.

So, basically, the difficulty depends on how many and how fast the portal-using ships are built by the AIP's, which is nice because it's external to the DLL.

Allowing them to divide up would vary the units attacking in each group instead of them all being the same (or close).

Also, what I've done is remove the restriction of detecting portal ships by their ODF names.  Now they (thanks to 1.3) just look for which type they are and send them to their respectful portal groups.  So, now the AI portal ships ODF don't have to be named a specific way, allowing for more flexibility and scalability.

Also, there are (according to difficulty level) attackers that are spawned by the DLL.  I think I'll adjust those too, so that it mixes it up a bit more.

Pretty much anything can be made an option, though.
What box???

Spawn

Ah, I thought you meant the 3rd race attackers (the dll ones).  So once a certain number of units are at a single hold point, they will attack?  Or is it once a certain number of units are at any hold point they will attack?

Red Devil

Yes, one there's a certain number at any hold point, they'll release to attack.
What box???

Axeminister

Well FE mpi is already hard enough, maybe randomization wouldn't cause too much more pain to this MPI Combat Commander. I love a challenge. But how about a counter? How about ships that appear out of nowhere for me too? At strategicly beneficial and random sites when I'm in trouble.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Red Devil

There's some in the code that have been commented out.  I could uncomment those and make them an option.
What box???

Spawn

It would be really cool if you could make something that periodically sends in reinforcements via dropship.  You spend 100 scrap to place a beacon, and a few minutes later four dropships full of sabers land :P

Red Devil

Heh.  I like that.  :-)  Dropships are underutilized.  i think I made some a few years back that I used to drop off troops, etc.  I'll have to find them.

Was just thinking, you can give bots names in BF2, so I'm thinking about doing something like that. All the FE devs would have to be in there.
What box???

Spawn

Red Spot

Quote from: Red Devil on February 27, 2008, 02:21:41 PM
Dropships are underutilized.

Purelly concept so far ... but I intend on making a new Recy, wich basicly is a platform, when you deploy it the deploy-animation makes a dropship land on it and it will than form a recycler ... thats the plan at least ...  8-)

G
*Something intelligent, yet funny*

Red Devil

Flying Recyclers?  Oh my.  :-o  :lol:
What box???