• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Issue with effects while targeting.

Started by Angstromicus, January 21, 2007, 01:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angstromicus

Whenever I target any object, any effects like an explosion or a weapon shot seem to "play" at double speed.

However, this speed doubling has more side affects. A very fine example (but again, not the only thing that is affected), is how emitinherit is affected. Targeting an object very adversely affects "emitinherit". I belive that emitinherit values seemingly double, but inconsistently. For those who are curious to know, emitinherit is a percentage of how much speed an emitted object "inherits" from its parent. Here is an example of a fireball I made. The flames emitted have "emitinherit = .9".

Without targeting the scout:

The flames behave normally here. They inherit 90 percent of the projectile's speed.

With targeting the scout:

The difference should be visible even just by looking at the thumbnail. Half of the flames are probably inheriting 180 percent of the projectile's speed. They're (obviously) shooting out in front of the projectile. The other half of the flames seem to be inheriting ZERO percent of the projectile's motion. The effect is massively distorted.

Edit: forum code corrections

Commando

Yeah, thats one issue.  Another issue is effects not displaying at all when a unit is targeted or a recycler is selected.  Both have been reported, and hopefully can be addressed.

Lizard

I've noticed that the particle efffects always default to the lowest setting whenever the interface is open (it happens in the editor too), I think this has always been present I thought it might have been a deliberate thing . 

Angstromicus

True true. I failed to admit that as well. Though, what I do to fix that is pause the game then open the editor. That keeps from effects being "lowered".

Angstromicus

On a side note, I've noticed another glitch. Perhaps considered major if more people would see it.

There's a little-known blend mode called "invdstcolor" that I've been using for a shieldup sphere effect. Since I've set the color values to 255 255 255 255 on a null texture for the sphere, everything's color should be inverted. This isn't necessarily the case. Inconsistently, effects will not appear inverted while the invdstcolor sphere is in effect. I am looking in first person through the sphere. Terrain, objects, water, sky, etc. are all inverted. SOMETIMES effects are inverted. SOMETIMES they will invert if I deactivate/reactivate the shield. SOMETIMES they will flip-flop from inverted to "not inverted". USUALLY they don't invert.

Commando

TOO, if you have assets that can demonstrate the issue, send them my way or send them directly to GSH outlining the issue the savegame demonstrates.

mrtwosheds

you are putting invdstcolor on a sphere, it has 2 sides, from the outside the color is inverted twice. if you sit inside the sphere you will see that everthing outside is inverted. Then the game decides it cant be bothered to draw this anymore and it stops.... I have noticed the same thing.
spheres look pretty bad with invdstcolor. sprites, explosions etc can look really good with dstcolor effects in them.