• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Wimpy Weapons

Started by Red Devil, January 02, 2008, 06:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Devil

Playing with those now.  With plasstream set to half shotDelay, it shoots out little plasma balls.  Still monkeying with it.

I set proxmine tho this so far and it works and looks pretty good.  Adding just a little kick to see how that goes.

particleCount2 = 7
particleVeloc2 = "30.0 30.0 30.0"

damageRadius = 15.0

[ProximityMineClass]
triggerRadius = 15.0
suppressRadius = 20.0
What box???

Red Devil

The kick adds a nice little touch.  Just enough to bump you, depending on the target's mass.  Scavs hardly get any movement, while ST's get push more.

Explosion looks better too.

Plasma Stream?  After looking at the original, the modified ones looks just as good and maybe better.

I'll post links here in a bit so you can try them out.
What box???

Red Devil

Okay, try these. 

Just unzip to your addon and it will put everything in its own folder, so you can just move the folder out of addon or delete the folder to disable it.

It includes a Sabre loaded with the weapons.

The Prox mine is set to fire quickly so you can experiment with it better.

Just enter an IA game as ISDF with your starting force set to large, hop out, and tell a Sabre to pick you up.

[link removed by RD, updated later in thread]

What box???

Zero Angel

While we're talking about optimizations. Just out of curiosity, but have the max # of displayable effects on scion shielding been reduced? (and if not, is there an ODF entry that will allow this to be limited?) -- I ask this because in 1.2 attacking a shielded warrior with the Mauler's "Fang" weapon cause some HUGE framerate hits as 20+ shield effects are displayed at once.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

I chatted with Ken once about that and he mentioned something about looking into limiting the saturation that can occur in such a situation.  Shields are the biggest abusers but there are several other effects that cause that sort of framerate hit if you're too close to the target.

That sort of particle/effect cullling would be fantastic, especially for older systems.

-Av-

OvermindDL1

Perhaps if the Shield effects could be changed from being texture based to being billboards, that would probably help the framerate a great deal in those quick circumstances as some billboards could just be drawn from a buffer real quick, instead of needing to render a texture (probably multiple times with multiple hits) and sending it across the bus.

If this was DX7 or higher then I would recommend a little shader code that would pretty much fix that slowdown easily.

Red Devil

Anybody try the ones I posted?
What box???

Zero Angel

On my tests (in the editor), the prox mine detonates right away, damaging the tank i'm using to plant it. Also I think it could do with a little more kick to give it more of an impactful effect. As-is it doesnt really slow down even asstanks.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Hmmm, maybe RD's been spending too much time messing with FE...  he's trying to turn us all into those 'Xeraxis' things that cruise in and blow up...

-Av-

Red Devil

Heh.  Might be some truth in that.  :lol:

Here' try this.  I had set the triggerRadius to less that the suppressRadius right before I zipped it, but didn't test it.  That'll learn me.  :roll:

Just found that this Plasma Stream won't work on the move due to the shotSpeed being too low (50/2 = 25).  It fires, but you never see it leave the barrel of the gun, except in 3rd person.

[link removed by RD]
What box???

Saberdude

this is a bit late, but try changing the weapons the spinter shoots ammo cost to 1.....they become MUCH more useful

mrtwosheds

QuoteJust found that this Plasma Stream won't work on the move due to the shotSpeed being too low (50/2 = 25)
what did you slow it down for?
Just need to adjust the fire rate of the gun (shots per second), and the damage each shot caused, to equal what it was and draw less sprites.

BZDraconian

I want an ass laser.....

it'll certainly provide much needed relief against them dang tailgaiters!

Remember, if you want to ride my ass, at least pull my hair!

oh...

You were referring to Assault lasers.... my bad. nvm

Red Devil

Argh, you're right. There was a lot of shot separation, so it looked less like a stream, but this is good enough.

Replaced old file:

Test Weapons

Quote from: mrtwosheds on January 07, 2008, 10:25:02 AM
QuoteJust found that this Plasma Stream won't work on the move due to the shotSpeed being too low (50/2 = 25)
Just need to adjust the fire rate of the gun (shots per second), and the damage each shot caused, to equal what it was and draw less sprites.
Quote from: mrtwosheds on January 07, 2008, 10:25:02 AM
What box???

Feared_1

Quote from: BZDraconian on January 07, 2008, 10:41:45 AM
I want an ass laser.....

it'll certainly provide much needed relief against them dang tailgaiters!

:lol: