• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Far-off exploding sound.

Started by Feared_1, January 03, 2008, 06:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feared_1

If you're fairly far away from a ship explosion in the game, you can hear the sound come roaring toward you, then away from you.

I just wanted to know what that is, and how you determine whether it is there or not.

Steeveeo

I've always wondered how the engine controls that sound, but its supposedly the whistling of either debris or the ejection (I believe is the latter). IIRC the sound is ordin_a.wav

EDIT:

The tag is either:

BailSound = "<name>.wav"

or

ExplodeSound = "<name>.wav"

check both.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

TheJamsh

yeh its the like bail thingy, probably the pilot shooting into the air at 500 miles an hour or so...

one thing that is hilarious, set game.cheat bztnt turned on, then keep pressing the C key for the jetpack, do that like 20 times and i waited nearly 30 minutes it still didnt touch the ground...

to think that the jetpack flame emits at soemthing like 0.001 a second, and i could see clear centimetre gaps between them on screen lmao!

off topic but random

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Zero Angel

OK!

While we're already on a tangent. The thing with the pitch of the sound changing is called the Doppler effect. In real life it has something to do with the speed of sound -- and because the speed of sound is finite and slow (compared to, say, the speed of light) it is possible for objects to move faster than the speed of sound.

When an object is moving towards you, its sound will be higher pitched because the sound waves that it emits are compressed. When the object is moving away from you, the sound will be lower pitched because the sound waves it emits are spaced out wider. An example of this is right before/after a semi passes by you, or a plane flies over you.

I like how BZ2 tries to replicate that effect. :)
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Red Devil

You can adjust these settings in Gameprefs.ini to adjust where sounds begin and end and how much Doppler you hear:

// Distance ranges for various classes. These values must be between
// 2.0f and 250.0f. The values here seem to work well.
vehicleMinDist = 50.0
vehicleMaxDist = 250.0
explosionMinDist = 50.0f
explosionMaxDist = 250.0f
weaponMinDist = 50.0f
weaponMaxDist = 250.0f
ordnanceMinDist = 50.0f
ordnanceMaxDist = 250.0f

// Various 3D setup flags. These are the defaults, I believe, and
// ought to work. See the DirectX SDK docs for info on what they are.

// D3D listener params
flDistanceFactor= 1.0f
flRolloffFactor = 0.5f
//flDopplerFactor = 1.0f
flDopplerFactor = 7.0f
What box???

mrtwosheds

QuoteI like how BZ2 tries to replicate that effect.
It can sound really odd if your unit talk as much as mine do...nasty bigmouth squids things!

Feared_1

Yes I knew about the doppler effect :P

I just wanted to know more about that particular sound in BZ2.

Is there any way to make that sound appear very faint from across a map?

GSH

I like how BZ2 tries to replicate that effect.

DirectSound 3D does that more or less for free. It's just a matter of telling it position & velocity of all sounds, plus position & velocity of the 'listener'.

I could have sworn you've asked this before, and you didn't like the answer given: DLL. Have a nice day.

-- GSH

Nielk1

Quote from: Zero Angel on January 04, 2008, 09:47:55 AM
OK!

While we're already on a tangent. The thing with the pitch of the sound changing is called the Doppler effect. In real life it has something to do with the speed of sound -- and because the speed of sound is finite and slow (compared to, say, the speed of light) it is possible for objects to move faster than the speed of sound.

When an object is moving towards you, its sound will be higher pitched because the sound waves that it emits are compressed. When the object is moving away from you, the sound will be lower pitched because the sound waves it emits are spaced out wider. An example of this is right before/after a semi passes by you, or a plane flies over you.

I like how BZ2 tries to replicate that effect. :)

Light does it to, it's called red shifting. As the light waves expand (or contract) the color changes. Gee, can we use that in bz2?

Click on the image...

Feared_1

Quote from: GSH on January 04, 2008, 05:59:29 PM

I could have sworn you've asked this before, and you didn't like the answer given: DLL. Have a nice day.

No, I don't believe I have...

Thanks though.

OvermindDL1

Quote from: Nielk1 on January 04, 2008, 07:40:29 PM
Light does it to, it's called red shifting. As the light waves expand (or contract) the color changes. Gee, can we use that in bz2?
Things in BZ2 go *far* too slow for any light-shifting to take place however.  Any non-trace weapons (beams are trace weapons for example, stabbers are not) in BZ2 go far far too slow (I doubt any even reach 500mph, BZ2 would probably turn that into a pure trace anyway at that speed since the scales are so small), you would probably have to reach a few hundred thousand mph for it to become noticble enough to think about emulating.  Not to mention that you would probably need shader support for it to be fast.

I remember someone asking that sound question too at one point as well, no clue who...

Red Devil

Speaking of far off sounds, if I, being a man, say something in the woods here, am I still wrong?
What box???

mrtwosheds

QuoteSpeaking of far off sounds, if I, being a man, say something in the woods here, am I still wrong?
Probably, if what you say makes as much sense as the above doesn't.