• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

.ODF and DLL questions -read in for furthur info-

Started by Warfreak, February 08, 2008, 04:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warfreak

Is it possible for .odfs have lines that mean nothing at all to the engine.

ex. "level = 12r //mission 12 Rodian campaign

Along with that, is it possible for a DLL to be given instruction to write data ontu a file?

Nielk1

First question, yes.

I think ivtank.odf has a rouge W in it, even in 1.3

Click on the image...

Steeveeo

IIRC it is completely possible for both.

I remember screwing up some graphical ODF lines and the most it ever popped up was a hidden console message (was printed but didnt open).

As for the DLL file write, definitely possible, remember when I asked about persistant fleets?

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Commando

Is it possible for .odfs have lines that mean nothing at all to the engine.

If you are asking what I think you are asking, the answer is yes when pb4 comes out.  You can basically make up settings and have the dll perform a behavior based on that setting.  For example.

[RecyclerClass]
undeployClass = "ivrecy"

To the engine, undeployClass means nothing.  A dll can be designed to look for that line, and if it is true, the dll can replace a recycler building with that vehicle.  I believe BZC will use that feature.

As far as I know the engine will ignore anything it doesn't understand, assuming there's some reason you can't put that sort of thing into a comment...

//12R - 12th Rodian Campaign Mission

As Commando says, BZC uses 1.3pb4 to allow the DLL to read non-standard lines and run some code when they're found.  There's very little you can't do with this... you could pretty much write your own sections in the ODF to support whatever you can code in the DLL...

-Av-

Warfreak

k, there really isnt a reason why i cant make it a comment, just seeing if such is possible........

Now about the second question, any answer to that? (besides Steeveeo's of course)

Can't say from experience but I swear it's something that OM asked for...  and if it can be done as OM asked for it then GSH usually does it.

It's something needed for persistent forces in a campaign, and that's ringing a bell also...

-Av-

Red Devil

1. Yes.  I have even included some secret code in the FE13 ODF's that, when I type in a code, tell the DLL to teleport a ship to Burkina Faso if certain people I don't like are piloting it.

2. DLL's can write pretty much anything you tell it to a file.
What box???

SkyNET

Quote from: Red Devil on February 08, 2008, 05:24:49 PM
1. Yes.  I have even included some secret code in the FE13 ODF's that, when I type in a code, tell the DLL to teleport a ship to Burkina Faso if certain people I don't like are piloting it.

O_o

Warfreak

DLL (something along the lines of) "Checkfile,pilot#.dat
                                               ifEq,"insert list of ppl",SHIP TO PLACE

SHIP TO PLACE:
                                               Movepos,"list of ppl",outerborder // (1e50,1e50,1e50)

Id imagine you got something like that (cept in c++) put together RD.  :evil:

OvermindDL1

The dll can write to files just fine, always could, needs nothing from BZ2, thus nothing GSH does.