• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Working on gun tower equipped with guns rather then cannons...

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, February 15, 2008, 03:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

Why not just use GIMP*, does about everything and is free in full...

EDIT:  Fixed misspelling...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Zero Angel

You mean GIMP? I've used both the GIMP and Photoshop -- GIMP is not a photoshop replacement yet and the interface is a bit kludgey, but if you want to go the ethical cost-free route -- I suppose you can cobble together a few decent textures if you put enough effort into learning the GIMP's interface, and together with the help of a few extensions/scripts.

One of these I recommend is:
http://users.telenet.be/ev1/gimplayereffects_en.html
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

OvermindDL1

I use GIMP at work quite often, and yes we have photoshop as well, I still use GIMP. :)
Compared to the people that know photoshop I can whip up quicker and better looking things in GIMP then they can in PS, at least all the stuff we do (magazine, flyers, etc... type things).  And I am not even a graphic artist in the least.

mrtwosheds

I did actually try the new photoshop cs free version, But I could not see any clear reason to change to it from my photoshop version 6.
It was considerably slower, thanks to allot of useless interface "improvement". And did not appear to have any new features in the basic install, I had no desire to seek out countless new plugins to replace the ones I have in v6.

Zero Angel

I'm quite the die-hard fan of Photshop 7 myself because everything flows together so nicely! It does 90% of the basic important stuff that CS+ does (think the difference between Office 2000 and Office 2007) and have not found myself really wanting for features save for native, cost-free RAW support as well as built in plugins for compiling HDR (hi dynamic range) photos that the CS versions come with.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

BNG Da BZ Fool

I'm guessing then that using ixla artist to make the texture files and then convert them using xnview would be my best option as I already know how to use it verses gimp which I'd have to learn which is undesirable as my time is somewhat limited. One thing I've noticed for sure though is that there is a multitude of modeling variations amongst peeps who model stuff for the game. What works for one will not always be practical for another. So far after years of searching, trying and doing I've come to the conclusion that the acronym, K.I.S.S. makes a ton of common sense...BNG
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

VSMIT

A cheap alternative to Photoshop is Photoshop Elements, which is about $80.  I use version 3 and it's very nice.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

BNG Da BZ Fool

So far, other then the countless hours I've spent doing stuff for the game; I've managed to keep my actual costs to a healthy fat zero. If ixla artist doesn't do it for me then I'll just have to bite the bullet and learn gimp. I model as a side hobby and find it most difficult to actually justify spending money under such circumstances. One exception might be to purchase the full CD version of gamespace @ 200 US, because, it's the only 3d modeler I've ever used that actually makes any logical sense to me as a non professional lay person. Ironically, I did have an earlier version of photoshop on another computer that had win 98 on it, but gave it away to one of my cousins some time back. Se la vi; oh well. Gimp, is beginning to sound better to me as a logical no cost alternative for modeler like myself. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if when I purchase my next digital camera or scanner that I obtain a free basic version of photoshop.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Nielk1

OT: Heh, looks like OM is posting his footer in his post...

Click on the image...

No, OM has a ghost doing that for him...  lazy showoff...  :)

-Av-
Generated by Av's hard working, over typing, cramped and arthritic fingers...

BNG Da BZ Fool

Gimp sounds like a pretty extensive painter compared with ixla which doesn't support multiple layer textures. It does have a few cool features, but it's mostly oriented to photos and such. I've been playing around with some 64x64 textures and some are actually nothing more then simple patterns I created in mspaint and tiled on my models. One that looked particularly nice was a texture made of squares equally distributed and tiled onto a building type to simulate windows on a tall building. I was truly amazed that 5x5 uv repetitions didn't distort at all on the 4 sides of the structure. Then I started going nuts with all kinds of different pattern types. I wonder if individual objects or at least faces might be one alternative to creating more detailed models and then just gluing them together onto the main frame of the model body. For example, something like pin striped objects like emblems, vehicle numbers, and other decal type objects. I'm going to try experimenting on some existing models to see what happens. Using the separate object tool in gsl allows like a copy of a face or group of them to be created apart from the model body where they can be somewhat reshaped via vertex manipulation while still keeping the same basic angles but allowing the pieces to be custom painted and then reglued onto the chassis again. Making stuff like grills, windows, and other common parts easier to paint. I know it adds extra poly's but might prove useful for making models look more customized. I save most of the parts I make in my object libraries under different folder names; even the crude shapes I use in conjunction with the subtraction tool for cutting away model geometry. I guess I'm somewhat of a pack rat refusing to throw away stuff that I might use again on some future project.

TheJamsh

i was under the impression they were experimenting with a type of gate that traps a single electron... operation like a transistor i guess

if we are talking about single electrons determining values, how fast are the processing speeds going to be :D

you make them any faster than that the human brain isnt going to be up to speed. well, maybe lol

EDIT: sorry just realised we were talking about this two pages ago :D should really get into discussions sooner

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

OvermindDL1

Some people figured out a good way to cheaply etch out graphene transistors that are 10 atoms by 1 atom, maybe that is what you are thinking of?

BNG Da BZ Fool

Paint.net, is another handy paint alternative to PS and Gimp. It has a nice pencil sketching effect for assisting a modeler in making a paintable outline for custom model skins. Fairly easy to use, but seems to lack an airbrush tool. Still, it is free and there seems to be a ton of free plugins to make it quite useful for the average BZII modeler.