• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Working on gun tower equipped with guns rather then cannons...

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, February 15, 2008, 03:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

...will I encounter any major problems in doing this? The towers are basically smaller versions of conventional gun towers that behave like regular deployable turrets minus the mobility, i.e., stationary yet built by a constructor. Can they be operated without needing a com bunker? And do they need to own terrain as with full size gun towers? I'd like to give them heavy chain guns unless someone can think of a heavier alternative gun? I started to texture the thing but didn't like the results after viewing it in the workspace. I also figured out how to make a simpler version of the terminal podium and attached screen made from 2 cubes and then separating one of the faces for the screen thingy. Hopefully, the thing will come out half way decent; if I can just manage to keep things straight when gluing it all together.

Despite my ongoing fascination with Blender for creating animated models; I still regularly default back to using GSL for most non animated models as it's way easier to create stuff with then in B3D. I figured out how to use the boolean object union tool to attach dual component objects like turret_x and recoil objects as it easily ties multiple objects together so they move precisely with one another. Another trick I found handy is to open a second instance of GSL to load xsi to cob converted files of models from the xsi data pack to study the parts and hierarchy of existing model files while I work on creating a new x model in the other open instance of GSL.   
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Raven

Guntowers only need the relay if you add the entry into the ODF.

Eg this is the stock one:
requireCount = 1
requireName1 = "ibcbun"
requireText1 = "Build Relay Bunk"

Insead, put:
requireCount = 0

And the building will have no dependancies, which means it is buildable no matter what you have already built (aside from power)

Incase you didin't know, the 'Name' is the basename/odf name (I can't remember) and the 'Text' is what comes up when you try to build it without everything needed.

As for owning terrain, all buildings should own terrain really unless its supposed to be special, either by stating it in the ODF or doing the terrain__h + collision__hc doo-dally with the XSI

Commando

buildSupport and buildRequire will determine whether said object can be built on any green square or if it has to be built adjacent to a base building or relay bunker.

use buildRequire = "N" to allow it to be built on any green square like a gun spire.  Use buildRequire = "A" for the default gun tower behavior where it must be built adjacent to a relay bunker or another gun tower.  Use builtRequire = "B" if you want it to only be buildable if next to a power generator or a base building.

BNG Da BZ Fool

Tanks guys. I wasn't sure because the unit deviates from the standard GT, and I wanted it to be placeable independent of other buildings. The basic platform for the unit is also going to have variants equipped for rockets, mortars, and possibly cannons too. I plan to make the variants available @ filefront once I have them debugged and ready to use by other modders. It's kind of cool making simple stuff like this; just wish I had more knowledge to keep the silly little questions at bay. Tanks again BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Raven

Never be afraid to ask questions :), or these boards would die!!!

Red Devil

Agreed.  There are no silly question, just silly answers.  :-)
What box???

Zero Angel

QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

BNG Da BZ Fool

I made few more more modifications like recessing the floor to somewhat protect the operator, added a mid section to accommodate the hp_com triangle thingy, and built a ramp for the pilot to get out of the thing after he's done blowing things away. Sorry about the wire frame pic but it better shows the guts of the structure better then with a solid view of the GT. I was also able to copy the terrain_h from the original GT by adding it to the object library and then adding to the scene as an editable object. Still need to create the skin, but the UV unwrapper in GSL is pretty easy to use so that will come next after I'm done with the geometry part. Hopefully, I'll get the thing glued together properly as I screwed up my first attempt working on a assault tank variant a while back.

Red Devil

How about adding a small wall right inside the doorway to protect the guy at the console?
What box???

Zero Angel

If i'm not mistaken, the GT pilot is unhurtable once he accesses its console. I think he even disappears when he gets in the GT.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

mrtwosheds

Tip.
You will probably want a low poly model, Yes I know it is already, but one without the inside and console, so while your constructing, make a base without the insides as well as one with, then it is simple to just switch the frames when you want to build the low poly one, without having to struggle to get it looking the same as the one you built weeks ago.

I miss my avatar  :cry:

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

I'm nobody's avatar...   :)

I prefer to make a very highly detailed model first, then 'dumb it down' a little into a LOD1 model, then into a very low poly model to use as the second LOD model.

-Av-

bigbadbogie

i never worked out what the point was of having these LOD models
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Angstromicus

Because the further away an object is, the less detail you can make of it. So by making LOD's, you increase performance with a negligible decrease in eye candy. Games such as Oblivion and Crysis would not be possible without LOD's, because you can see kilometers away. If everything was at max detail the games would be impossible to run.