• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Can BZII utilize 2 GPU's on one card?

Started by Angstromicus, February 23, 2008, 07:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angstromicus

I'm considering upgrading my video card to either a 9800 GTX or a 9800 GX2 in march. I am considering this over getting a nintendo Wii because I've not heard too many good things about the console.

I expect the GX2 to be a bit more powerful than the GTX. If I got the GX2, would BZII use only one of the GPU's on the card?

Steeveeo

Good job not getting the Wii, who needs frikkin exercise when they wanna game?! :P

Anyway, BZ2 does not use the graphics card IIRC, it processes through the CPU and sends it on its way out of the video card (Software T&L).

If it does use the video card for anything but displaying the picture, I'm not sure what (maybe bumpmapping)...

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Zero Angel

Not true, better videocards help, they just dont help as much as they would if BZ2 was using full hardware T&L.

I just looked up the GX2 -- ooooh, its got 2 videocards built in to it. Thats awesome. :) I might get me one of those.

And from what I read, it looks like you'll get some of the benefits of SLI in non-SLI aware apps (like BZ2)
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Commando

I'd wait until the card is reviewed before purchasing it.  The 7900gx2 was a complete flop from what I read on some of the hardware forums.  The new card is suppose to share some of its characteristics so I'd recommend waiting.

I hope it is a good card.  Unlike ATIs card, the two GPUs are supposedly on two separate boards.  How I don't know.