• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Can someone explain texture blending?

Started by anomaly, February 25, 2008, 06:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anomaly

Ok, this part of odf editing has always bugged me because I can't figure out how it works.  I wasn't able to find much useful info(before the server wipe) on what the different combinations of one, modulate, alpha, invsalpha, etc. meant.  So, has anyone done looked into what each of these does?

General BlackDragon

Well, i know I use 2 basic ones...

for images that have an image/color. i use "one one modulate"

For images that use mainly gray/alpha channels, i use "srcalpha invsrcalpha modulatealpha"

Here is a full list of the types of items that can be placed in that kind of sequence.

Texture Blends:

Zero
One
Srccolor
Invsrccolor
srcalpha
invsrcalpha
dstcolor
invdstcolor
dstalpha
invdstalpha
scralphasat

Experiment if you like to find out results.

*****General BlackDragon*****

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Angstromicus

those are Src (source?) mode. Don't forget tex (texture?) mode. I'm guessing Src mode would be like pre-processing while tex mode is post-processing. But that's just a hunch.

Anyways, here's the tex part of the list:

decal
modulate
decalalpha
modulatealpha
decalmask
modulatemask
add

mrtwosheds

I have found dstcolor is quite useful for creating some interesting effects.

Zero Angel

"one one modulate" uses greyscale textures, and renders the white part of the texture as opaque, and the black parts as fully transparant. The color is determined by the color settings in the effect.

"srcalpha invsrcalpha modulatealpha" uses 32-bit textures (ones which already possess an alpha channel) and renders them as the texture was colored. Use this for effects which require a texture that possesses more than one color.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Steeveeo

I thought the "One one" part of it made it additive blending and "modulate" did the greyscale opacity.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Zero Angel

QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Angstromicus

How does BZII read these functions?

order matters, right?

OvermindDL1

anomaly

Oi, confusing.

Sounds like I want to use srcalpha invsrcalpha modulatealpha, since I'm using draw_geom to show a textured tank for an effect I'm making.  Now I'm running into problems with draw_geom not showing child frames in an object. Oh well.

bigbadbogie

yes- draw_geom only shows the top frame of an object -- make the tank a single frame
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com