• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Problems with BZ2 & Latest Nvidia Drivers (8800GT, 9600GT)

Started by Steeveeo, March 31, 2008, 08:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

That is the GTS, not the GT.  I thought the GTS did not really have any issues with BZ2, just the GT?

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

General BlackDragon

I hate you all so much  :-P

I had a dream that I got a NVidia 8800 and had issues with BZ2 ....

*****General BlackDragon*****

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on October 31, 2008, 01:57:40 PM
That is the GTS, not the GT.  I thought the GTS did not really have any issues with BZ2, just the GT?

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

You know I'm not 100% positive about that. I think older drivers worked fine with BZ2 on GTS, but when I tried 180 beta it creates white garbage all over my screen. Nvidia might change few things here and there before final version. However, knowing how they operate my hopes are very low. BTW I'm on WinXP, so I don't have a clue if BZ games are working properly with 177.XX on Vista.
Funny, they finally fixed Aliens vs. Predator bug; I can now play it with my DX10 card. lol.

Angstromicus

Quote from: General BlackDragon on October 31, 2008, 02:28:13 PM
I hate you all so much  :-P

I had a dream that I got a NVidia 8800 and had issues with BZ2 ....

Lmfao. Did you dream about playing Crysis on Ultra High settings as well  :lol:. Once you get a high end card (and stay relatively up to date), it isn't all it's cracked up to be  :cry:. Sure, it's bliss for the first week or so. But it's not nearly as fun after that (unless of course you do a lot of game modding and push your hardware to the limit with crazy stuff  :-D).

Wait for the Nehalem architecture to come out before you do anything, though. It's a totally new architecture which uses a new socket. I believe the major system changes happen  every two to three years on average in such a fashion as to significantly limit an upgrade path - which can make it so that upgrading one component may require the replacement of several others :(.

VSMIT

The only problem with waiting for i7 is the fact that when it comes out it will be über expensive, almost prohibitively so.  If you are going to wait, wait only on the mobo components, as any expansion cards should be able to switch to the new mobo.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Ego - Nikolas

New chips and drivers fading away second generaton of  "3D acceleration" I meant bz2 game.

Now we are seriously using nvidia physx and ati cuda calculator engines (integrated in graphic chips) for games like far cry 2 and medal of honor airborne.

My guess is that even never graphics will stop supporting old code for drawing game graphics and minimum requirement will be game which does run on transform and lightning.

Edit: resiusly to seriously

VSMIT

I'm pretty sure the issues with the G92 core was nVidia phasing out their compatibility with the older versions of DX.  That the GTX200 cores do support these older versions is good, but I'm almost certain that in the end, we will all have to keep an older computer in order to play BZ2.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

OvermindDL1

Which is why OpenGL should always work. :)
OpenGL was originally designed for professional 3d video work, as such it still has a lot of features in it that modern video cards still do not support, but the video card backend is only icing on the cake as it uses the CPU if all else fails, and if CPU's keep advancing and getting more cores to the point that even these vector processing (video) cards become obsolete, OpenGL applications will still always work.  :)

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

Ego - Nikolas

Yes OpenGL is great engine.
Maybe convert bz2 to open gl engine with some free tool :) ?

Steeveeo

Quote from: Ego - Nikolas on November 03, 2008, 04:13:09 PM
Yes OpenGL is great engine.
Maybe convert bz2 to open gl engine with some free tool :) ?
Hah! Try more along the lines of rewriting almost the entire graphics part of the engine.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

OvermindDL1

OpenGL is not an engine, it is an API, engines use API's to do stuff and any given engine tends to be built around the API it uses, hence yes, it would require rewriting a good portion of BZ2 to use.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

Did a quick 180.48 WHQL Driver test, and it looks like NVIDIA put back some of the old game support for the final release. Surprise, surprise, never seen that happening before. Played BZ games among others and it appears that they are functioning properly, but I must confess I did not test them for more then 10min. Still no fix for Battlefield games, so I'm back to 177.92.
I guess if do not play Battlefield games then do try 180.48 to see if they work with G9X and up cards.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_180.48_whql.html

Steeveeo

Quote from: Member on November 20, 2008, 03:30:38 PM
Did a quick 180.48 WHQL Driver test, and it looks like NVIDIA put back some of the old game support for the final release. Surprise, surprise, never seen that happening before. Played BZ games among others and it appears that they are functioning properly, but I must confess I did not test them for more then 10min. Still no fix for Battlefield games, so I'm back to 177.92.
I guess if do not play Battlefield games then do try 180.48 to see if they work with G9X and up cards.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_180.48_whql.html

Nope, no real effect, except for about a 2 minute increase in time before the glitch from the last round of drivers, I got no difference.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Sorry to hear that, I'm starting to think that G9x cards have some sort of hardware design flaw. There isn't much difference, essentially a die shrink of the G80 + some other minor tweaks. Since they don't give a you know what about older games support, they simply did not test them extensively as they should have. Just look at ATI, they decided that 16bit dithering hardware support is no longer needed, leaving many gamers in the cold. I hope it just a software glitch, but then again we will never know for sure. I'm glad at least my 8800GTS works for the most part, but sadly not all of my games work properly and most likely never will. So I feel your pain.

VSMIT

It's an issue with the G92 cores/drivers.  Apparently the GTX 200 cards work just fine.

VSMIT.