• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

MS Visual C++ or Basic: Which is more useful for BZII guys?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, May 01, 2008, 12:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbadbogie

i do - well for a short while until i get distracted by ten thousand naked girls stampeding through my house
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Red Devil

Quote from: bigbadbogie on May 02, 2008, 10:39:40 PM
i do - well for a short while until i get distracted by ten thousand naked girls stampeding through my house

Well, in *that* case, you definitely should not do it.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not so sure about the focus thing.  I have about 30 books started around the house.  But, I can pick up right where I left off when I pick one up again.  Not sure if that counts.  Maybe multi-focused?

Okay, for the sake of clarity, I was listing some the reasons people give them themselves for not attempting it (or anything really).  If you can get past those voices in your head and just get an attitude of "I'm a-gonna whip this thing.", then there is almost no limit to what you can accomplish.  Well, except for Av.  The guy just has no gumption at all..  :-P
What box???

OvermindDL1

Ten-thousand nak...

Oddly enough, I would probably still be glued to my screen... programming... too addicted, and get more so every day...
>.>
<.<

Either way, Python is only useful for my multiplayer capable scriptor, if you are not going to do that then do not bother, C++ is better.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Angstromicus

Quote from: Red Devil on May 02, 2008, 08:02:43 PM
I really wouldn't try to learn it if I were you guys.  It's really hard to learn.  It will cause you a lot of headaches and sleepless nights.  It will take up a lot of your time. There's more fun things to do.  You're not smart enough to handle it.

Eh eh eh :?. It? Do you mean C++ or Visual Basic or the visual studio interface?

Nielk1

Well, looks like I am going to be teaching Warfreak some... I wonder if I can use this to study for my final...

Click on the image...

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on May 02, 2008, 02:58:52 PM
I meant it is useless for anything relating to BZ2. :)

No argument there...

QuoteAnd the Basic dialect in Office is different then normal Basic, so although the syntax may be similar, it would not really help you to learn real Basic when dealing with Office Basic.

It's a subset of VB, hence the name VBA, and it certainly did help that I'd already had tons of experience in VB 5.0 when moving to VBA.  There are a lot of omissions but there are just as many duplications, or at least similar enough to grasp quickly.

QuoteAnd I doubt that, my Python scripting powers in OpenOffice have been put to the test at work (yes, we use OOo). :)
Scripting an Office app in Python is so much more simple, so fewer commands you have to call...

Ah, I had to add some fine print...  we'd be using MS Office 2003 and Excel, and you'd have to be making Government spreadsheets...   :)   

-Av-

BNG Da BZ Fool

So...learning C++ would be the best overall choice for BZII related stuff? I was working in GMAX again the other day and started to read up on putting together some simple max scripts as it reminds me some what of the way Python functions only for 3d Max. GSL, also supports a scripting utility based around the TSX SDK for Truespace as well.

From what I've noticed formating seems to be a common denominator amongst the programming languages in general. All seem to share some commonalities across the board, and the express edition of C++ is well documented after I installed the library files for help from MSDN. I think I'll try my hand at C++ and see where that leads me.

The nice thing about MSV C++, is the basic tutorials included to help non programmers like myself get a basic understanding of how the language works by teaching the basics of creating simple programs, U.I.s, other related tasks. I've somewhat lost interest in making simple non animated models.

My focus is now more or less on attempting some work in the area of animation conversion between popular 3d formats via learning to write a simple program that can take say an existing animated file and translate the geometry, texture, and IK components into either a compatible BZII X or XSI animated file. I have more confidence in the X version as the 1.1 XSI version seems pretty much obsolete.

The X version, on the other hand, seems like it'll pretty much be around when we've all kicked the bucket and moved on to BZ heaven. PS: Does any one know of an alternate site that focuses on C++ learning resources as that seems to be the best overall programming language to get started on...Tanks BNG.

When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

OvermindDL1

That is one thing about C++ as well; it is by far the most documented language on the planet, probably even exceeding almost all spoken languages as well.

As for sites, there are literally thousands, probably hundreds of thousands.  If you are like me and just mostly want code snippets then I would recommend http://www.codeproject.com/ since it has a ton, most have good descriptions, but I mostly just want the code snippets (although it has probably been a good two years since I have really been there...).

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Nielk1

I tried to teach him about namespaces and defining them for the entire program, specific commands, and not at all. He is having an issue with his compiler looking in the wrong place for the EXE after making it.

Click on the image...

BNG Da BZ Fool

Tanks for the tip OM. I currently receive their newsletter, but haven't visited their site in quite a while, but I will, so I can get started on learning C++.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

bigbadbogie

i think youre all nuts.. why learn a nearly impossible language when you only need to learn the dll scriptor??

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

Red Devil

What box???

Angstromicus

C++ ain't that bad (at least not so far). Seems pretty easy to me and a lot of people in my class AFAIK. Only the IT majors seem to have problems with it. The computer science, myself included, don't seem to be having any trouble.

Nielk1

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

you cant use the scriptor but you can use c++?? NOW IVE HEARD EVERYTHING!!!

My BZ2 mods: