• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Theoredically, could an invisible unit be made by simply...

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, July 07, 2008, 01:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The actual cloaking effect is just VIR, which is just 'winking' out.  What you're doing is using the chrome effect from the morph as a sort of inbetween state, between solid and invisible, so the ship goes sortof smokey and then blinks out.  To do that you're sacrificing the chrome texture of the map... 

Now, in BZC scrap is painted, not chromed, so it would look a bit better than using this in regular BZ2, but you're still sacrificing the chrome texture... and I have things that use the chrome texture that I don't want looking smokey or watery... 

Still, it's a brilliant idea and nothing in BZ-land is without drawbacks.  Might be useful for some of the Chinese missions should I ever get to TRO...

And I'm sure GBD is off messing with it right now...  :)

-Av-

mrtwosheds

The map's chrome texture should survive ok I think, you can now specify a chrome texture in the units odf.
What I think nobody is going to be able to do is make a morphing tank that morphs into something with an invisible geometry, as morphing is just animating the model, I don't think you can make it disappear like that.

bigbadbogie

Is there any way for a non-animated unit to use chrome morph as it cloaks??
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Warfreak

Any unit that is able to morph can be chromed, even though it isn't animated.

BNG Da BZ Fool

I wonder if invisible geometry can be set in the hierarchal tree? In GSL using opening it and right clicking an object in the tree has an option to uncheck make visible and the object no longer appears. However, when I save the object and view it in 3DEX the object still appears visible. I guess what I need to do is add a transparent shader to the texture I use for it.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

mrtwosheds

Textures with transparency's will work, but I don't know how you could switch them in game, the ship would always be transparent. That would be very bad for the fps.

General BlackDragon

yea avatar, it could be set per ship. Each ship could have a different chrome texture. Maybe thicker images for the bigger ships :)

*****General BlackDragon*****

bigbadbogie

Could someone please do an example?

I have been trying to get this working with no success.

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

Red Devil

I added that Spectator ship thinger awhile back.  Lets you wander around the battlefield invisible/untargetable to everything.
What box???

bigbadbogie

Just an example of how to get a non animated ship to chrome-morph.. please.

My BZ2 mods:

Steeveeo

I think if you dont specify an animation, then it wont. I think it will still chrome if you dont specify.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

I speak "Steveveeo"... let me translate.  :)

If you don't specify an animation then it won't animate during the morph, but it will still chrome.

So...  if you can specify a chrome texture per ship then this should work to some extent.  The ship should go smoky or semi-transparent or whatever texture you choose, and then completely invisible at the end if you use the 'cloaked when morphed' flag.

An example?  Lol...  I'll get my rabid quality control guy on that right away, as if he already wasn't...    :evil:

-Av-

Warfreak

@ Whoever asked will it chrome during morph after I answered it......
Quote from: Warfreak on July 09, 2008, 08:35:38 AM
Any unit that is able to morph can be chromed, even though it isn't animated.

WHAT DID I JUST FINISH SAYING!!!! Please read all posts, helps keep the topics going in circles... Not mad, just seemed pointless to make Avatar reanswer an already answered Mystery of the Universe :roll:

@ Avatar: I can put together a quickie chroming box.. :D

Steeveeo

Quote from: Avatar on July 10, 2008, 05:49:30 AM
I speak "Steveveeo"... let me translate.  :)
Oh hush! I was distracted when I wrote that! :P (Mainly with this missing AIP issue)

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

General BlackDragon

I Actually havn't been paying much attention to that yet, although it sounds freakishly interesting  :evil:

I could make the ships use any texture i want, at and alpha i want, to achieve desired effect. :)

*****General BlackDragon*****