• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

suggestion for pb4a

Started by Ac/dc, July 09, 2008, 09:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CmptrWz

I have always been told to set it just below the max MTU of my connection.

Figuring THAT out is a PITA sometimes.

Centerline

Spawn - yep, I always forget about the "internet thru Gamespy" and "local LAN" toggle button on the games list.

Centerline...

GENERAL MANSON*

Quote from: Spawn on July 10, 2008, 02:32:40 PM
You can change the setting from within windows.  Also, where did you hear this gm, is there any proof/reason?

My D-link support told me about this and i changed it. I wanted less lag and changing it from 1500 to 500 helped considerably. Espicaly in 1.2 games. Might even help load pages faster by a couple seconds or more.
Quote from: CmptrWz on July 10, 2008, 03:36:04 PM
I have always been told to set it just below the max MTU of my connection.

Figuring THAT out is a PITA sometimes.

PITA meaning Pity or what?

Steeveeo

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

GENERAL MANSON*

Quote from: Steeveeo on July 10, 2008, 08:43:25 PM
PITA= Pain In The Ass

Never would have thought of that. On some hardware/software settings possibly i can see that being so.

OvermindDL1

Okay, multiple things to clear up.

First, both D-Link and Linksys suck (I kill so many just by flooding them... gah), better to just build your own out of an old crap computer and OpenBSD...

Second, *NEVER* set your MTU too low.  The MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) is the max packet size, so when an app sends a packet too large then it will be split up, taking *MORE* time to reach the destination.  However, setting it too high will cause your ISP to split it, again taking more time.  Best setting is to let the router never touch it, 1500 is good for that (should be default in most cases, sometimes 1492 or so), and set your Windows installation (or whatever OS you use) to equal that of your ISP (for any decent ISP, that is 1500 or 1492), that way no packet will be split, everything should arrive nice and fast, and so on and so forth.  But yes, NEVER FREAKING ALTER IT ON THE ROUTER, leave the router high so it will not touch it.  If you ever touch it, only do it in windows so the network stack builds it correctly in the first place.  If lowering your MTU helped with lag, then you really need to reconsider your ISP as they are doing something dreadfully wrong.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Red Devil

This is a good place to test your connection.  Running the tweak test tells you if your packets are being broken up or not.  Dr. TCP lets you tweak your MTU and other settings.

http://www.dslreports.com/tools
What box???

Ac/dc

Quote from: Red Devil on July 09, 2008, 09:42:42 AM
It's possible now.  On your second computer, in addon\config\Gameprefs.ini there is a GameBasePortNumber setting.

Copy that to your LocalPrefs_bzone.ini file and set it to 17774.

You have to make sure that you forward that port to the second computer's IP address too.

Use static IP addys.

// Default port # for games (LAN & Gamespy) to be hosted on. Changing
// this shouldn't be necessary unless you're trying to host multiple
// games off a machine at once. Valid values for this are 1024 thru
// 65530.  Ports N thru N+2 are used for the game. Thus, for the
// default of 17770, ports 17770-17772 are used. Also used in LAN
// scans-- scans base to base +20. Thus, all machines on a LAN must
// have the same base.
GameBasePortNumber = 17770

i know its possible to use a proxy with one of them, but without the lag (sorry dont have time to read all of your post)

Feared_1

Quote from: Ac/dc on July 10, 2008, 10:13:05 PM
(sorry dont have time to read all of your post)
It sometimes takes a few drops of elbow grease. Read it. I'm pretty sure you can read faster than you type, knowing you :P

GENERAL MANSON*

Steeveeo

Quote(EDIT: Removed) Obscene Link

Be careful, posting stuff like that can get you permabanned, I reccommend removing the link before a moderator sees it and boots you.

Feared_1

Too late. I had modified it, but decided to remove it altogether.

Ac/dc, I was only kidding. You should know better than posting something like that, especially here, but on BZ2MAPS as well.

So, what were we talking about again?

TheJamsh

posting something likes what. are there any printed terms on conditions on this site?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

GENERAL MANSON*

Just showing that information from that link on here can get ppl banned?

Reason why chaiging the MTU to 500 helped is because my router and model are incompatible with each other.

Steeveeo

Quote from: GENERAL MANSON* on July 11, 2008, 02:56:11 PM
Just showing that information from that link on here can get ppl banned?

Reason why chaiging the MTU to 500 helped is because my router and model are incompatible with each other.
No, you can put THAT link back, my post was in reference to one of the noobies linking to an obscene website. Feared_1 removed the offending post (which caused a bit more confusion than replacing its contents with "Obscene Content Removed" would have been). Sorry bout the confusion.