• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

suggestion for pb4a

Started by Ac/dc, July 09, 2008, 09:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ac/dc

If possible, it would be conveniant if the ability for 2 or more lan computers to join a internet server was enabled.

Red Devil

It's possible now.  On your second computer, in addon\config\Gameprefs.ini there is a GameBasePortNumber setting.

Copy that to your LocalPrefs_bzone.ini file and set it to 17774.

You have to make sure that you forward that port to the second computer's IP address too.

Use static IP addys.

// Default port # for games (LAN & Gamespy) to be hosted on. Changing
// this shouldn't be necessary unless you're trying to host multiple
// games off a machine at once. Valid values for this are 1024 thru
// 65530.  Ports N thru N+2 are used for the game. Thus, for the
// default of 17770, ports 17770-17772 are used. Also used in LAN
// scans-- scans base to base +20. Thus, all machines on a LAN must
// have the same base.
GameBasePortNumber = 17770
What box???

Axeminister

I host and Windy joins via the Lan interface on bz2, then others join using Gamespy. All this happens without doing anything special. If Ac/dc is asking about using both computers on his home lan to join someone elses server he just needs to join on Gamespy with one computer, then join with the lan interface on bz2 with the other. I think it's been like that since 1.3pb1. I'm pretty sure about this because I've been having two computers on Battlezone II ever since 1.3pb1 came out.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Red Devil

Oh yeah.  I was thinking of having two rigs on the same LAN hosting/visible to Gamespy.
What box???

Axeminister

You know what, that last part I said was wrong. Windy corrected me. If I use Gamespy to join someone elses server, then Windy just does the same thing. So if he is having trouble joining with either computer, I don't see why. It should work.

GSH

I'm pretty sure for 1.3pb1, I made it so that multiple machines behind a gateway/router should be able to join the same server outside that gateway/router. I'm pretty sure I tested it from home at the time -- both prospective clients should be on gamespy, and look for that game. Axe is saying he's tested it recently, and it's worked. Anyone else tried this recently? Thanks.

-- GSH

Centerline

I fired up both of my machines today and joined both of them to the same 1.3pb4 game at the same time using the in-game list.  My machines go through a router that does NAT like just about eveyone else.  It worked great without any changes to the games settings what-so-ever.

If I wanted to use the two machines to host at the same time then I would have to make changes.

If I host on one and want the other to join in I have to join by IP address using my local (private) IP address.

Centerline...

Red Devil

If one rig has a GameBasePortNumber of (for example) 17770 and the other is 17776, then one can host and the other can join the other one via Gamespy.
What box???

Centerline

Red - I'll give that a try.  Would be interesting to hit it all through the in-game browser.

Centerline...

Spawn

Centerline- If you want to join a computer on your local network look in the LAN tab.

Axeminister

I remember when I first set up my lan network. I had plugged all the computers and x-box into the router and the internet connection also. The hub accepted and fed everything. Until I figured out that with only one ip address that nothing else could get on the internet and play games except one item at a time. Oh I could use the internet set-up wizard to allow the other items to use the internet, but they couldn't all do it at the same time. If AC/DC is set up like that, then I can understand where his question is coming from. What I have set-up now is a main computer that has two network cards. The internet connection feeds it, then the connection is sent to the hub to disperse to the other machines. Now thay all can use the internet and play games. I can be online X-box Live playing Halo2 and have a game of Battlezone II up that I'm hosting with Windy having joined downstairs, all while my roomate pays his bills on another pc.

Spawn

Why not just get a router?  That way you don't get booted off halo when your windows pc gets a bsod :P

Red Devil

Edit: Yes, what Spawn said.

The two different ports thing I tried last summer with my two rigs (found a bug too).  I was able to host using one and join that one with the other rig through Gamespy.  

You can also have each rig host from your LAN too.

Remember to forward your router ports to the ports (that you assigned in each Localprefs_bzone.ini) at the static IP of the respective rigs.

Example:

Router port 17770 forwarded to GameBasePortNumber = 17770 at IPaddress-of-rig1
Router port 17774 forwarded to GameBasePortNumber = 17774 at IPaddress-of-rig2
Router port 17778 forwarded to GameBasePortNumber = 17778 at IPaddress-of-rig3
What box???

GENERAL MANSON*

@Axeminister If you do get a router get D-link (I prefer it over linksys) or linksys.

I havent been able to find out where on linksys that you can change the MTU setting. As far as i know with it the lower the number the faster it is. If you can change it put it around 500 to 750. It will make some difference.

Spawn

You can change the setting from within windows.  Also, where did you hear this gm, is there any proof/reason?