• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Simple Model Editors

Started by Commando, July 22, 2008, 02:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commando

Are there any programs that can open up an xsi for the sole purpose of moving HPs around?  I have a few models I want to fix, but I haven't found anything that will do the job.  Please don't say Threed because that program is trash for two reasons, it only saves 10% of the model I want to save, and it screws up my mouse settings when opened forcing me to restart my pc.

I'm hoping Overmind is willing to tweak the MSH viewer by adding the ability to manipulate XSIs but I don't see that happening.

mrtwosheds

What type of model is it?
I have become quite good at moving hp_s around in notepad.

Commando

Hover assault tank.

Basically it's ivhtank00.xsi in patch13.pak.  If you look at it in 3dEX, you can see the hp_eyepoint is placed way too high.

My goal was to readd the original eyepoint from ivtank00.xsi, rename that hardpoint hp_temp, move the problematic hp_eyepoint to it perfectly overlaps hp_temp then delete hp_temp.

Unfortunately doing so in threed corrupts the model.  Granted I would only use threed for the coordinates since I don't trust threed.

I plan on doing the same for both light hardpoints, for the same model.

OvermindDL1

In notepad anyway, just look for the frametransformationmatrix or whatever it was called of the HP you wish to move, the numbers are like this:
qr_0   qr_1   qr_2   qr_3
qp_0   qp_1   qp_2   qp_3
qy_0   qy_1   qy_2   qy_3
x   y   z   w

If you want it to face forward then all the Q's must be like this:
1   0   0   0
0   1   0   0
0   0   1   0
x   y   z   w

The w should generally always be 1 as well, especially if facing forward and unscaled.
The x, y, and z are the xyz coords, alter them to where you need it as you please.

As for an editor, my viewer has no xsi importing capabilities, only writing.  Would be easier to make a new one, but I do not really have any time...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

mrtwosheds

it's ivhtank00.msh.
You have the xsi.
Open both of them in notepad, find the eyepoint frame

This is an example

Frame frm-hp_eyepoint {

FrameTransformMatrix {
                        0,0,0.761905,1;;

copy this line                         0,0,0.761905,1;;
from one to the other and save.

Commando

I know how to edit the object in notepad, that isn't the problem.  The problem is I can only get an approximate location using notepad.  With a GUI based editor, I can get a lot more precise placement which is what I'm trying to get.

Because of the hierarchy used in the model, the same coords used in ivtank00.xsi does not result in the same relative location in ivhtank00.xsi.

mrtwosheds

Change the number until its right!  :-D
I find notepad-3dex is much better than threed for precise placement.
You should be able to add the parents value and get to the same place.

bigbadbogie

Stop insulting threed. I have used it to texture and edit every single model in the entire QF mod and they all work 100%!!!

Notepad is how you precisely place objects, and threed is to roughly place them.

It is frequently easier however, to just get them right in the original modelling program.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

General BlackDragon

Threed is fine. It only currupts models when you hit the "save" button :D

And, IMO, If all your mod's models were made with Threed, your mod cannot be any better then SF mod.

*****General BlackDragon*****

bigbadbogie

No - not made with threed - the models were made in 3dsmax, then exported to xsi, opened in threed, textured, hps added, and saved.

Sometimes numbers get slightly corrupted, but it doesnt show in the game and is easy to fix in notepad if it causes problems.

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

General BlackDragon

Yes, but Why not add hps' and texture in 3ds max?

Commando

I'm not approximating.  I open the model in threed, move the HP, save the model.  Only 22 kb gets saved aout of 220kb.  That is literally 10% of the model.  The rest doesn't get saved.

On top of that, it f*cks my mouse up until I restart my pc.

Threed is a pos.  It's not bad enough that it doesn't save the model.  To add insult to injury, it tells me what sensitivity my mouse will run at.

If threed would display the coordinates of a Hardpoint without having to save the model, that would work perfectly.  Unfortunately it doesn't even do that.

bigbadbogie

Quote from: General BlackDragon on July 22, 2008, 04:51:26 PM
Yes, but Why not add hps' and texture in 3ds max?

Because the exporter makes all the colours turn blue and they have to be edited in threed.

@Commando - that is because the dummyroot frame of the object has a texture. Its complicated but I have gotten the hang of it.

My BZ2 mods:

General BlackDragon

They arnt Really blue

thats just Threed viewing it INCORRECTLY.

and, I usually edit that in notepad. NOTTHREED

bigbadbogie

They are actually blue. Its just that bz2 doesn't show it.

Theed is good for people who know how to tame it. Its like a wild dog.

My BZ2 mods: